VOGONS

First post, by Anamon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

I have trouble activating audio commentary in Big Red Racing, and I have no clue why 😒

I am using DOSBox 0.70 on an Athlon XP 3000+ with 1GB RAM, Athlon X800 GTO, Realtek AC97 Onboard, Windows XP SP-2.

The game installed correctly and although my system is too lame to run it fluently, everything seems to work, except the audio commentary. In the game, I have CD Audio as well as all the sound effects (menu 'bing's, engines...). However, when trying to activate the commentary in the options menu, it just isn't possible to check the box. When manually editing the player config file (manic 1) it is reset to 'manic 0' upon running the game.

I tried all the working sound drivers, and the commentary audio files are all there. It just doesn't want me to activate them. What the heck is going on?

Thanks 😀

Reply 1 of 4, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Try creating a CUE/BIN image of the CD and use imgmount to mount that.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 4, by Anamon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, I tried, but with no luck.

I then decided to try out the CD-Rip version from Home of the Underdogs. And guess what, I had commentary (it even played the music from my BRR-CD). I noticed that the executable wasn't the same version, so I just copied the one from the rip over, and it worked instantly. As my executable was newer, I wonder if it would be possible that they disabled one of the main features of the game in a later version. But I don't remember having any trouble with this back in the day, so it's probably only the DOS executable that was affected (originally, I used to play the Windows version, which however cannot be run anymore in Windows XP/Vista)

Reply 3 of 4, by VisitntX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

did you tried to run your game after make this: mount d d:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0?
supposing that d:\ is your drive letter, is like in screamer 2 and rally, they need that option to make the cds to works.