VOGONS

First post, by mindx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have successfully installed and can play Wiz 6 under DosBox 0.70 (I slow down to around 3300 cycles to play at a descent speed) but I can't save my game.

I click "Disk" and then "Save & Exit" and it asks to insert disk in C:
I then click the return icon and nothing seems to happen. I close down DosBox and look into my oldgames folder (my mounted C drive) and there is nothing there indicating that I saved my game. I have gone into the game config menu to specify where to save C:\BANE\ but still can't do it.

I go back into Wiz 6 and there is no saved game. What am I missing?

Here is some of my info if needed:

Using The Ultimate Wizardry Arcives
DosBox 0.70
XP SP2

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would love to play this gem and then go on to Wiz 7 (or gold as I've heard good/bad things) and finally end with Wiz 8.

Reply 1 of 8, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Insert disk C: ????

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 8, by mindx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's what it is asking. Even if I specify within the game configuration screen to save to "C:\BANE\" it still asks when I click "save game & exit" for me to "insert disk C:"

It then just stays on that screen and I have to shut down DosBox to close the game. It is not frozen because I can keep clicking the return icon to save but the screen just flashes for a fraction of a second and still asks "insert disk C:"

Edit: I found out the problem. I have to leave the save game line EMPTY and it will then save itself just fine.

Reply 3 of 8, by bknight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I too have a similar problem, but with a different twist.
After resetting the save game location to a blank, I am unable to restart a game. The game is there, but will not restart. I am able to form a party and START a new game, play, save etc.
What could be wrong here?

Reply 4 of 8, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Look at the last item listed in my signature.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 6 of 8, by djp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Probably that you need to reformat your question and include pertinent information 😀 And read the How to Ask Questions page.

Never try to outstubborn a cat. - Lazarus Long

Reply 8 of 8, by bknight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I didn't do a good job of describing the situation, but I thought since I was posting right below another post and indicating I was having similar problems would have been sufficient.

I stand corrected.

I don't know what or how I did, but now the game is retrieving a saved game and I am able to continue.