VOGONS

First post, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just for curiosity's sake, I've been trying several old DOS-based emulators under DOSBox. A silly thing to do, really, because as far as I know they all have XP compatible (and often much better) versions.

So I've tried Caprice, and old Amstrad CPC emulator still on development, and the legendary KGEN98 Genesis / Megadrive emulator, sadly abandoned.

They both work great, and I've had a kick remembering both their strenghts and weaknesses. Just as a side note, VSYNC options (in the emulators, not in DOSBox itself) tend to screw the timing, but after I've turned them off everything has been fine.

4wwqAOF.png?1 y5Fm7bI.png?1

I'm sure you'll all be tired of watching "Outrun" and "Sonic" screenshots by now, so here you have pics of two Amstrad games, "Yie Ar Kung-Fu" and "Wec Le Mans" running under Caprice.

Neville wrote:
Time to do a proper list of what works under DOSBox v0.74... […]
Show full quote

Time to do a proper list of what works under DOSBox v0.74...

ARCADE EMULATORS:

- Callus --> 384x224 resolution recommended.

- Callus95 --> Working, in theory. The vertical scroll games won't show graphics properly, due to emulator limitations.

- MAME --> Slow

- RAGE --> Not known issues.

- RAINE --> v0.63.4 and later recommended. Some games (NeoGeo and CPS2 specially) require more than 63 Mb. RAM, so using Yhkwong's DOSBox build is recommended. Taito F3 System and NeoGeo games using rasters are VERY slow.

- The System 16 Emulator --> Use v0.82A, not the latest beta. It needs a hell of a computer. It also requires Yhkwong's DOSBox build and its VSYNC options to regulate speed properly.

CONSOLE EMULATORS:

- Colecovision --> MEKA will do, although it moves jerkily.

- Sega Game Gear & Master System II --> Massage v1.0. For 3D games it won't "translate" the graphics, you'll need the glasses!

- Sega Megadrive --> KGEN98 v0.4 and / or Genecyst vX.XX (less accurate).

- Nintendo Gameboy --> GB'97 v2.937 and / or KiGB v2.03.

- Nintendo NES --> Nesticle vX.XX and / or LoopyNES (more accurate, but no savegame option).

- Nintendo SNES --> ZSNES v1.51 and / or Snes9x v1.26b (slower, and some extra chips not emulated)

- NeoGeo --> See RAINE entry.

- Nintendo GBA --> no$gba 2.4c or later. Slow.

- NEC PC Engine / TurboGrafx 16 --> No consensus yet.

- PSX --> AdriPSX v01.02.01. Can't tell how good the compatibility is, though.

HOME COMPUTER EMULATORS:

- Amstrad CPC --> Latest DOS versions of Caprice and / or CPCE will do. No CPC+ emulation available.

- Apple II --> ApplePC v2.52

- Commodore 64 --> CCS64 V2.0 B and / or VICE 2.3 (slower, will need higher PC).

- MSX --> fMSX-DOS v1.6b2 and / or MSKISS 0.2.4. No Turbo-R emulation available in both cases.

- ZX Spectrum --> Look for RealSpectrum v0.97.23 R14b. Warajevo and / or X128 also work, but are lesser emulators.

- Atari ST --> Pacifist v0.49. Compatibility is good but not great. Couldn't get the "Lotus" games to work, for instance.

- CBM Amiga --> DosUAE v0.7.5d and / or Fellow v0.36 R1. Compatibility in both cases is limited. No AGA emulation.

- Apple IIGS --> XGS-DOS. It works VERY slow, but some games will be playable.

Also take into account that most of these emulators will need either CWSDPMI.EXE or DOS4GW.EXE in order to run, and more often than not their packages won't include them. Same for the various BIOSes required: some are legally distributed with the emulators (i.e. Amstrad CPC, ZX Spectrum emulators), but others are yours to find. Same for the games / software for every system.

Last edited by Neville on 2017-08-21, 11:11. Edited 7 times in total.

Reply 2 of 136, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why should it discourage DOSBox authors? That these programs, which are DOS applications, work under DOSBox is a testimony of its overall faithfulness and compatibility.

Tomorrow I'll see if I can get ZSNES working. I believe the DOS port is still being updated.

Reply 3 of 136, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, well, well. I've done some testing with the DOS version of Zsnes (can't believe they still update this port), and works great.

ZRteNHf.png

I've used the 320x240x16b graphic mode and, as previously learned from the other emulators, no VSYNC.

Last edited by Neville on 2013-07-22, 15:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 136, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Round III: MSX.

I've had certain trouble getting both BrMSX and fMSX-DOS to work. Only one of them (BrMSX latest beta) crashed DOSBox, which probably means fMSX-DOS will work with after some more effort. MSKISS, though, worked almost at once.

5xM5htE.png?1

SEfduDm.png 8W5vnF7.png

MSX logo screen and pics from game "Soviet". The loading screen rings some bells here...

H5aHKBQ.png N0An38O.png

...plus two screenshots from "Robocop".

6MbRrGl.png s5voS6i.png

The obligatory nod to Konami is present in the shape of this pics from "Yie Ar Kung-Fu" and "Ping Pong".

All these games were tested in DSK format. Pictures look a bit dark because of scanlines.

Last edited by Neville on 2017-08-19, 15:43. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 6 of 136, by kruwi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, as I am curious guy, I could not wait that long:

Fellow's working! I have used it to play space quest 1 UNDER Fellow UNDER dosbox. And the performance is alright. UAE might cause performance problems (haven't tried it out yet).

Visit the end of the internet: www.groskreutz.de

Reply 8 of 136, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Callus... I *MUST* try that, although I can't tell if finding the DOS version and the adequate ROMs will be easy or not.

Anyway, I've tested the Spectrum ZX emulator RealSpec (Pentium I optimized) and it complains the CPU is a mere i486, but then works fine after all.

LVjyvyX.png 0qK9EEH.png

RrWnBes.png DEs6IXG.png

Don't like "Arkanoid" much, but "Lotus" here is one of the best racing games ever produced for 8 bit computers.

Oh, and I also got fMSX-DOS working after all. It was just a silly problem with the MSX BIOS files.

Last edited by Neville on 2017-08-19, 13:33. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 9 of 136, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Callus tried 😁

The DOS executable is still around, and MAME roms work (to some extent). The real problem comes when you get to play. I had completely forgot that this emulator didn't support image stretch, unlike its Windows port, so you end up playing with the different resolutions to see which one works best. I have finally settled for 320x240.

K2FCMTU.png GbB9mpu.png

The 400x300 mode for some reason ends up as 800x300, don't know why.

Last edited by Neville on 2017-08-19, 13:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 136, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Won't play Soviet in the speccy emulator? Or are you a MSX only guy?

Does this ring any other bell?

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 12 of 136, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah... it was just your avatar seems more a Spectrum load screen than a MSX one.

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 14 of 136, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Use 384x224 as resolution in Callus. One res. fits all.
Also make sure you use DOSBox's cool scalers and a SBPro as audio board in order to have stereo sound working.
Play with VSync, sometimes when it's enabled it'll speed up things a while and make the sound less "crappy".
I'm ashamed to say this but I also tried MAME and it seems to work but weirdly (?) the scalers' effects won't apply to most games.

Reply 15 of 136, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You're right, butterfly. I forgot to try the "special" resolutions, they never worked on my old P166.

9isoJbZ.png smBSVtz.png

Note that I've rezised the pics so they correspond to the actual display.

As for MAME, I wouldn't bother, really. Although the DOS port is still maintained, I'm possitive most of the ROMs requirements will be far above from what DOSBox is capable at the moment. Of course, less flashy games, such as Pacman and clones will probably work well.

Last edited by Neville on 2017-08-20, 12:46. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 16 of 136, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some time ago, I tried MAME in pure DOS. Some games (later Bubble Bobble games) needed more than 64 mb of memory, so they didn't work with DOS 6.22 (Himem.sys seems to limit XMS to 64 mb). I think DOS 7.0 would play them OK, but DOSBox sticks to 64 mb, too.

At least until you recompile the emulator.

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 17 of 136, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I'm talking about older versions of MAME. Didn't check which version but that way you can notice the differences and bugs and improvements with newer versions.
I'm not sure about the original size of the Callus screenshots. If you use 384x224 the actual resolution must of been like 384*2=768x224*2=448 or something like that