VOGONS

Reply 120 of 136, by GPDP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I will keep some of those in mind. My main intent was in using the oldest possible versions of well-known emulators (you know, to increase the bugginess factor for entertainment purposes), but I can see about trying out some of the others. About Snes9x, I can tell you the oldest version I could find does not sound anywhere near as bad as ZSNES 0.150, which is why I don't use it. That said, I haven't tried a lot of games with it, particularly ones that require special chips, which may lead to (desirable) issues.

Reply 121 of 136, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What's the oldest SNES9X for DOS you can find? I have a few of the 0.2's which date to around late 97... The first one with sound is 0.1.

One game you should try in 0.24 is Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 muHAHAhahahaHAhahahaHAhahahaHAhahahaHAhahahaHAhahahaHAhahahaHAhahahaHAhahahaHAhahahaHAhahahaHAhahaha

Attachments

• Filename
    s9xd020.zip
    File size
    425.54 KiB
    Downloads
    160 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    s9xd024.zip
    File size
    352.99 KiB
    Downloads
    195 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 123 of 136, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Time to do a proper list of what works under DOSBox v0.74...

ARCADE EMULATORS:

- Callus --> 384x224 resolution recommended.

- Callus95 --> Working, in theory. The vertical scroll games won't show graphics properly, due to emulator limitations.

- MAME --> Slow

- RAGE --> Not known issues.

- RAINE --> v0.63.4 and later recommended. Some games (NeoGeo and CPS2 specially) require more than 63 Mb. RAM, so using Yhkwong's DOSBox build is recommended. Taito F3 System and NeoGeo games using rasters are VERY slow.

- The System 16 Emulator --> Use v0.82A, not the latest beta. It needs a hell of a computer. It also requires Yhkwong's DOSBox build and its VSYNC options to regulate speed properly.

CONSOLE EMULATORS:

- Colecovision --> MEKA will do, although it moves jerkily.

- Sega Game Gear & Master System II --> Massage v1.0. For 3D games it won't "translate" the graphics, you'll need the glasses!

- Sega Megadrive --> KGEN98 v0.4 and / or Genecyst vX.XX (less accurate).

- Nintendo Gameboy --> GB'97 v2.937 and / or KiGB v2.03.

- Nintendo NES --> Nesticle vX.XX and / or LoopyNES (more accurate, but no savegame option).

- Nintendo SNES --> ZSNES v1.51 and / or Snes9x v1.26b (slower, and some extra chips not emulated)

- NeoGeo --> See RAINE entry.

- Nintendo GBA --> no$gba 2.4c or later. Slow.

- NEC PC Engine / TurboGrafx 16 --> No consensus yet.

- PSX --> AdriPSX v01.02.01. Can't tell how good the compatibility is, though.

HOME COMPUTER EMULATORS:

- Amstrad CPC --> Latest DOS versions of Caprice and / or CPCE will do. No CPC+ emulation available.

- Apple II --> ApplePC v2.52

- Commodore 64 --> CCS64 V2.0 B and / or VICE 2.3 (slower, will need higher PC).

- MSX --> fMSX-DOS v1.6b2 and / or MSKISS 0.2.4. No Turbo-R emulation available in both cases.

- ZX Spectrum --> Look for RealSpectrum v0.97.23 R14b. Warajevo and / or X128 also work, but are lesser emulators.

- Atari ST --> Pacifist v0.49. Compatibility is good but not great. Couldn't get the "Lotus" games to work, for instance.

- CBM Amiga --> DosUAE v0.7.5d and / or Fellow v0.36 R1. Compatibility in both cases is limited. No AGA emulation.

- Apple IIGS --> XGS-DOS. It works VERY slow, but some games will be playable.

Also take into account that most of these emulators will need either CWSDPMI.EXE or DOS4GW.EXE in order to run, and more often than not their packages won't include them. Same for the various BIOSes required: some are legally distributed with the emulators (i.e. Amstrad CPC, ZX Spectrum emulators), but others are yours to find. Same for the games / software for every system.

Last edited by Neville on 2017-08-21, 11:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 126 of 136, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

The infamous UltraHLE, for the shiggles

That's awesome! 🤣 The only time I ever got UltraHLE working was on a friend's Celeron 300 (pretty sure it was a 300A, can't remember though) with a Voodoo 1, and when we tried loading Goldeneye, it was sloooooooooooooooooooooow. I was kind of expecting more since it was coded for that era of hardware.

I remember trying to run it on my Pentium 4, since I was frustrated with how slow the newer N64 emulators were, yet I couldn't get a Glide wrapper to work on that damn thing for the life of me. 🙁

Reply 127 of 136, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I spent way too much time with UltraHle and Zelda... 😉 worked great back then with whatever PC I had and a V2

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 128 of 136, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
GPDP wrote:

I could never get UltraHLE working in DOSBox. Care to share how you did it?

Just that last Daum build with Glide emulation. Win95C and Voodoo Graphics drivers.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 129 of 136, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And finally... the PC Engine / TurboGrafx 16 emulators! I've wiped the dust out of Hu6280 v1.89 beta for starters...

v6OVdKw.png?1 6lk6TxR.png?1

By default the emu opens up a very helpful ROM browser... unfortunately this means we run the emulator with default options, and the 640x400 res leaves us playing in a small portion of the screen.

If we want fullscreen, we need to use the command line and type: HU6280.EXE <ROM FILE> -v2 By doing so the games load in 320x200 res. Speed is reasonable, but music is clearly out of sync. I'll have to check out if this emu supports frameskip. Otherwise, games are playable, "Street Fighter 2" even supports 6 buttons with the -sixbut argument.

z1RxCkr.png 7Pqks4u.png

No CD-ROM game support, though.

Reply 132 of 136, by retrogamerguy1997

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well the mouse moves too slowly. Also, the dosbox config was orginally tweaked with running Windows 95 and early Windows games in mind.

Reply 133 of 136, by jazzypanda

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2014-02-10, 01:49:

What's the oldest SNES9X for DOS you can find? I have a few of the 0.2's which date to around late 97... The first one with sound is 0.1.

One game you should try in 0.24 is Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 muHAHAhahahaHAhahahaHAhahahaHAhahahaHAhahahaHAhahahaHAhahahaHAhahahaHAhahahaHAhahahaHAhahahaHAhahaha

You know, this is my first post here and it's to thank you for sharing these old versions of SNES9X ♥ Version 0.24 was my first encounter with emulators back in '98, it was included in a CD-ROM I got for my birthday: "440 Nintendo games", much legal, very value 🤣 But I want to reproduce some weird behaviours in games like Super Off-Road (I think the AI was just broken). Pretty sure it didn't like my possibly misconfigured Cyrix M2-233... such a throwback!

Thank you SO SO MUCH for keeping and sharing these!

Reply 134 of 136, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nobody mentioned Executor? It works quite fine under DOSBox, I was able to run Wolfenstein 3-D, Ultima III: Exodus and even Warcraft (with the broken palette though):
Running Mac games on a PC

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 136 of 136, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a strange question... can FMSX-DOS run "Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake"? All I get is the disk BASIC screen.

I'm using the following command line: fmsx-dos -msx2 -video 2 -ifreq 50 -sync 1 -rom 3 mg2es.rom -diska drivea.dsk

As for why I would want to use FMSX-DOS instead of a modern Windows emulator... well, I've configured a few MSX classics so I can launch them from DBGL.