VOGONS

Reply 100 of 136, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

if you have a single machine running MS-DOS 6.22 that can support ALL possible DOS-era video, sound, cpu, input, etc. configurations to the degree that DOSBox does... then that's one rare DOS machine, I'd buy it if you're selling 😀

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 101 of 136, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
VileRancour wrote:

if you have a single machine running MS-DOS 6.22 that can support ALL possible DOS-era video, sound, cpu, input, etc. configurations to the degree that DOSBox does... then that's one rare DOS machine, I'd buy it if you're selling 😀

How can you tell DOSBox to emulate something like a Pentium III on a Pentium MMX machine? There is no way you're going to get full speed emulation so in that case the emulation is useless. It would be like getting a Volkswagen Beetle to emulate a Ferrari.

Reply 102 of 136, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I think it was clearly stated that the point is to have ADDITIONAL EMULATED HARDWARE in the sense of
graphics card types and sound devices, no idea where you're trying to get with posting crap about dosbox trying
to target emulation of a pentium mmx system.

Reply 103 of 136, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

How can you tell DOSBox to emulate something like a Pentium III on a Pentium MMX machine? There is no way you're going to get full speed emulation so in that case the emulation is useless. It would be like getting a Volkswagen Beetle to emulate a Ferrari.

yeah, but I doubt that this case is what people have in mind if they're trying to use DOSBox on a DOS machine (the fact that you can't emulate a faster system on a slower one has nothing to do with the OS anyway).

obviously it would be plenty useful if you want to emulate older features that your DOS PC doesn't support, like Tandy sound, or tweaked CGA/EGA/VGA modes that aren't implemented correctly on your graphics card, or joystick emulation, or smoothly slowing down the emulated CPU, etc. etc.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 106 of 136, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another update: I've been playing around with Warajevo, a ZX Spectrum, and I have two good news to share:

1) It works great under DOSBox. It's not the best ZX Spectrum emulator around, not even for DOS, as it lacks support for the +3 disks, but it's a pretty good program.

2) It comes with a very useful program called ZXCOMP, which converts Z80 memory dumps produced by Warajevo into DOS EXE files with added joystick emulation (real or emulated) if needed. Any game over 128k size is off limits (i.e. many of those who load every stage separately), but you can create DOSBox compatible EXEs of many games, including such classics as "Kick Off", "Head over Heels" or "The Way of the Exploding Fist".

Cool, huh? 😁

Last edited by Neville on 2017-08-19, 15:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 107 of 136, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Further testing with PacifiST. I wanted to create an entry in my favourite DOSBox frontend so I could also play the ST version of "Turrican". All in all, it worked fine, but I had to do some tweaking.

T3vPo.png

I had to change a couple of settings in PACIFIST.INI to take full advantage of PacifiST. "render = line" gets rid of the artifacts at the border, and "autorun=yes" goes directly into ST emulation. You also need to specify the path to your ST disk image file.

BTW, the joystick emulation through keyboard is a bit tricky. It uses cursors and right CTRL with Numlock off, but unless you change its state by yourself a couple of times you won't get to use it.

Reply 108 of 136, by catchaserguns

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I hate to be a lame jerk but according to what I was told that even though emulators are legal, the roms are not. You might say that the roms are the abandonware of the consoles. Its good to get those emulators working on Dosbox but we shouldn't condone the roms for the emulators.

Reply 109 of 136, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
catchaserguns wrote:

I hate to be a lame jerk but according to what I was told that even though emulators are legal, the roms are not. You might say that the roms are the abandonware of the consoles. Its good to get those emulators working on Dosbox but we shouldn't condone the roms for the emulators.

Everyone running those emulators here could very well be using copies of their own games.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 110 of 136, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some time ago, I posted here about my woes regarding the System 16 emulator. This afternoon I decided to try it again from scratch. Apparently, my earlier problems were caused either by earlier versions of DOSBox and / or an outdated version of the emulator. I'm glad to say v0.82a seems to work fine now:

L8R6F.png S7lzT.png

The problem now is running the emulator at the right speed. Its INI file has two different options for VSYNC, win_vsync and win_fvsync, but even setting both to 1 the games run way too fast.

EDIT: Solved using ykhwong's build and its built-in vsync options.

Reply 113 of 136, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Neville wrote:
Some time ago, I posted here about my woes regarding the System 16 emulator. This afternoon I decided to try it again from scrat […]
Show full quote

Some time ago, I posted here about my woes regarding the System 16 emulator. This afternoon I decided to try it again from scratch. Apparently, my earlier problems were caused either by earlier versions of DOSBox and / or an outdated version of the emulator. I'm glad to say v0.82a seems to work fine now:

L8R6F.png S7lzT.png

The problem now is running the emulator at the right speed. Its INI file has two different options for VSYNC, win_vsync and win_fvsync, but even setting both to 1 the games run way too fast.

EDIT: Solved using ykhwong's build and its built-in vsync options.

I forgot to mention that now I have an AMD X4 3.00 GHZ computer, and this particular emu must have benefited greatly from its horsepower. Just copied it to my laptop (AMD Dual Core 1,66 GHZ) and it wasn't nearly that playable there.

Another emu that must have benefited from my new CPU is ZSNES. I last reported it as playable but slow-ish, but now it works flawless. I even can play the games with extra chips without noticeable slowdowns.

On the other hand, I couldn't get RockNES working this time. Last time I edited its INI file and found a res / driver combo that didn't crash. No such luck this time, so I have to use Nesticle instead.

MEKA also seems as slow as last time, so I'm using MASSAGE instead. Its GUI is ugly and won't support 3D games, but it seems to play any other SMS / GG game just fine.

And finally, there's RAINE. I'm a bit confused by this one. Older versions (around v0.28) work slow-ish, and newer versions are a mixed bag. I finally settled for Raine v0.51.0, because newer versions won't play any sound. It works quite well, except for the CAVE and some newer additions, which require more RAM than DOSBox currently support, 128 megs or more.

Reply 114 of 136, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
megatron-uk wrote:
catchaserguns wrote:

Everyone running those emulators here could very well be using copies of their own games.

In most cases that isn't true and you know it.

Reply 116 of 136, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You don't get stuff like this every day... after a few years the Raine Team has finally released a new DOS version of the Raine emulator. Compared to the latest DOS versions I've seen, it adds Neo Geo emulation (too slow, but still better than in any of the other DOS emulators I've tried) and working sound.

With v0.63.4 I even get to play SOME CPS2 games at full speed. Avoid older releases because they are glitchy.

MtSZRw0.png

And if you don't have a modern multi-CPU computer you still have the CPS1 and Taito games I talked about earlier in this thread. It almost makes me want to ask the DOSBox developers for more than 63 Mb. of RAM. It would really make a difference with some of the newer Taito games and the bigger CPS2 games, which won't load with the current settings.

EDIT: Well, it turns out the Yhkwong build does allow for memsizes above 63, so loading larger CPS2 games with that one shouldn't be a problem. And Tux just released a new build of the DOS version of Raine (this would be v0.63.4-2) with some optimizations. CPS2 is more fluid and most Neo Geo games seem playable at full speed with sound.

OSD09Y1.png

Impressive, huh? Keep in mind that Neo Geo games using rasters, such as "Neo Turf Masters", are still too slow.

Reply 117 of 136, by GPDP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not meaning to advertise much or anything, but I actually did a small video series of games being played on old DOS emulators through DOSBox (specifically ykhwong's build). The results ranged from hilarious to ear-wrenching.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2V5vyJ … kciw6TGmqQBgoa-

Reply 118 of 136, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Certainly these programs are not recommended for music purists... I had completely forgotten how distorted and high-pitched the music sounds in these old-school emulators. Back in the days, being able to play the "Super Mario Bros." series at full speed in a P166 seemed miraculous enough, so we didn't care much about "details" such as VSYNC or tin-sounding music.

Nice addition to the thread, GPDP.

Reply 119 of 136, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That playlist is missing some of the more mature DOS emulators of the 90s like Loopynes and Kgen98, and a severe lack of Snes9x (which was also popular then)... and some of the more infamous ones like Pasofami (but that's Win3.1 😀) To add to the emulator bugginess there were also lots of cases of bad ROM dumps.

Loopynes is far better for sound reproduction, though its configuration is lacking.

apsosig.png
long live PCem