VOGONS

Reply 20 of 136, by kruwi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can.

Example: Create a virtual machine (e.g windows 2000/xp) using quemu on a linux host (or vice versa), then install dosbox inside the virtual machine, then emulate an amiga using fellow inside dosbox ... (until "in finito"). 😁

Visit the end of the internet: www.groskreutz.de

Reply 22 of 136, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kruwi wrote:

You can.

Trying to run Virtual PC 2004/2007 for Win within Virtual PC for Mac failed because of the fact that "a virtual machine cannot be installed in another virtual machine", tells me the err msg when trying to start the installed Virtual PC for Win within Virtual PC for Mac.

Attachments

• vpcwithin.gif
    Filename
    vpcwithin.gif
    File size
    5.57 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Can't run Virtual PC for Win within Virtual PC for Mac
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Klimawandel.

Reply 24 of 136, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, you can. I did that to test dosbox within Windows Vista, using a beta version long ago since everybody was complaining about issues and as in the near future most of us will be using Vista I wanted to check it.
I used VMWare, installed the beta of Vista, then downloaded DOSBox 0.65 and the first software I had handy was a CD with old Callus on it.
It worked.

Reply 25 of 136, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've used Vmware in VPC before. (Vmware running off of BartPE disc in VPC). Also Vmware BartPE in Qemu as well.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 26 of 136, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today's emulator is System16. System16 emulates many old Sega arcades (the System16 variety), such as Golden Axe, Altered Beast or Out Run.

The emulator works, but it's not very usable. The main issue is that it crashes (illegal code error) using dynamic core, and the full or normal cores run it way too slow to be considered playable. Sound doesn't work either.

LWF4lTK.png wck6f1v.png

Last edited by Neville on 2013-07-22, 15:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 29 of 136, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

More testing: Master System II emulation through MEKA v0.70.

It works OK, but I expected better speed. It works without any tweaking, but movement is a bit jerky on my Athlon64 3400+. Otherwise perfect.

iINHemA.png?1 7Xn68Uh.png

Last edited by Neville on 2017-08-19, 20:28. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 35 of 136, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, really. I had already an old install of Windows 95, since DOSBox version 0.65. Obviously Windows 95's GUI couldn't be started;
A few days ago I booted up that install to see how far it would go with DOSBox 0.70 and I couldn't believe my eyes, I typed "WIN" (as I had limited Win 95 to not make the GUI start, since I knew it wouldn't work) and the mouse pointer showed up and so did, after a while, the rest of the GUI.
Issue is with the standard DOSBox build the only usable graphics card, as far as I know, is "VGA standard" which is limited to 16 colors/Monochrome with a resolution of 640x480.
I was adviced in this thread Windows 95 video driver to give a try to ykhwong's CVS build that seems to include all current CVS improvements among which several alternate VGA chipsets, such as Tseng ET4000, the one I used to have the minimum 256 colors to have Callus95 running. Running... let's say it "walks slowly".
That's a great result, considering that's not what DOSBox was thought for.

Sorry for the pics, I just began experimenting with imageshack. I hope these ones will show up clearer

boot003yy8.th.png boot005ju7.th.png boot006er6.th.jpg

P.S.: By the way I guess I posted it in the wrong thread

Reply 38 of 136, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Why an achievement? I am sure others emulated Windows under DOSBox before, I gathered that from the answers I got. Furthermore emulating Windows isn't one of DOSBox's aims (look at the name) unless you consider Windows, as I heard from some people through the years, "a nice dos front-end" or a DOS application itself since it straps from DOS.