VOGONS

Three Stooges (problem with voice clips)

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by acefox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Has anyone here played Three Stooges (made by Cinemaware sometime in the 80's) on DosBox? The game runs fine except for the little bits of recorded voices. Whenever the game tries to play the voices, all I hear is a few "clicks" and silence. Thinking it might be related to the game speed, I tried using Moslo, but it doesn't seem to help. Moslo does make everything else slower, but not playing the voices.

Reply 1 of 11, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I recall the same behaviour on real ms-dos with a moderately fast machine. I think it's due the way used to achieve digitised speech using the internal speaker.

Did you know there is a Three stooges remake?

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 11, by acefox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I thought as much. Is there any known way to control the rate of the internal speaker in DOSBox?

Thanks for letting me know about the 3 Stooges remake. I had no idea they remade it (albeit for the Game Boy Advance). Here is the link for anyone that is interested:

http://www.cinemaware.com/3stooge_main.asp?ss=0

Through the graphics are better in the remake, I'm not sure if it'd be the same though since it was the original that I remember so fondly. I wonder if the GBA has the digitized voices?

Reply 4 of 11, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For the most authentic 'Three Stooges' experience, I'd recommend getting the Amiga version and running it via WinUAE. While Cinemaware developed for many different types of machines of the day including Ataris ST, C64, NES, PC and more it was in fact the Amiga where their games looked and played best of all, specifically those of the 'movie adventure' type. Make sure to get Rocket Ranger, Defender of the Crown (which Three Stooges even alludes to in it's intro) and SDI too while you're at it as these games really typify the Cinemaware experience while they were at their peak.

Just one fan's opinion.

Reply 6 of 11, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Commodore Amiga far surpassed the PC in terms of resolution, colours (up to 4096 onscreen in HAM - Hold And Modify mode) , sound capability (44kz 8 bit 4 Channel Stereo in hardware - though many devs and games split this again into many more channels via clever programming) and the ability the scroll the screen/playfield smoothly (this was a staple effect of the Amiga "BLITTER" in it's heyday) when it was first released. It was a truely remarkable machine with modern multiprocessing features - various aspects were maintained by an individual processors that could all talk to eachother and memory individually which made it a dazzling multimedia and games machine for it's day.

In fact this was true for many years, basically up until the 386-25 when advances in PC architecture, raw CPU speed, addon hardware and software development left the Amiga wanting - even the latest Amiga of 1994 the A1200 couldn't really compete with the Pentium MMX PC replete with all the cool addons.

All of the Cinemaware games including The Three Stooges had sampled sound effects and voices on the Amiga and as long your Amiga 500 (the basic and most common machine) had the extra 512KB addon (giving it a whopping total of 1MB) then every Cinemaware game would play all samples. For games like Rocket Ranger, this meant speech in the intro and during the newsreels for The Three Stooges this meant speech and soundfx during the intro and throughout the game's arcade sequences. In graphical terms Cinemaware 'movie adventure' titles look best on the Amiga - being displayed in more colours and their correct palettes (I think most of the games were initially developed on the Amiga, especially the most famous titles like Defender of the Crown, The Three Stooges and Rocket Ranger).