VOGONS

First post, by Klon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a problem with WoX that I haven't seen others having, and I need help. Sound works, game works, I enter towns and all that just fine, the problem is that the game will either lock-up on or drop back to the command prompt with the message "error drawing sprite in window" when I use the town portal spell from an item, I don't know about the actual spell because I haven't learned it yet. This error only occurs when using the town portal spell and not the travelling mirrors.

Reply 3 of 4, by Unkillable Cat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I played WoX recently using DOSBox 0.65, and all the default settings. It worked without a hitch. But I was using the version from the Special Edition of Might & Magic 6, and didn't mount the CDs, so I had no speech during the game.

Which version of WoX are you using?

Reply 4 of 4, by DaveMC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry to bring this topic up again, but I'm having the same problem.
I've been trying to get advice on fixing this on the abandonia forums, and a member there referred to this forum, so I decided to see if anyone here has come up with a solution.

I'm running DOSBox 0.72.

I've already tried changing the cycles in 500 increments from 4000 to 20000, and also set it to max.
I've changed the frameskip from 0 to 1 to 2 to 3.
I've changed core from auto to full to normal.
For every change of one setting, I've tried it with all the changes of the other settings mentioned above.

Nothing works. Everytime I use the item, the selection for the 5 towns come up, I type in a number for the town I want to go to, hit enter, the game says 'Please wait', then crashes to DOSBox. The error message displayed in DOSBox is: Error drawing sprite in window: 0000 handle: 0009 frame: 0008!

The thread for World Of Xeen on the Abandonia forum is 49 pages long, and I haven't seen anyone else there have this error. In fact, the original poster here is the only other person I can find a post for that mentions it.
I assume from this that it's a pretty rare situation.

I think I can play the game thru without using Town Portal, but it will make it more difficult. I'd really appreciate any help you guys can give.
Thanks.