VOGONS

First post, by Unkillable Cat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi this is my first post here. I've been watching the DOSBox development for quite some time, but only with the 0.65 and 0.70 releases have I been daring enough to try using it. So far, so good.

However, with Stonekeep, I have come across an error that is not covered by the oodles of threads already lying around. The error mentioned by Xerxes inthis thread does crop up from time to time, but I've found a way to bypass it, at least to be able to continue playing.

However, the error that's frustrating me is of a different sort, and comes in two flavours. If I try to view a certain item (the lower half of the key needed to free the dragon) in the journal (not the inventory) the game crashes with a FOPEN FAILURE <random gibberish>.POJ NOT GROUPED, followed by ERROR IN FCLOSE CALCULATION. The same error occurs if I try to pick up any item from a certain square in the Faerie Realm. As one of the items in the square is plot-vital, I'm unable to progress much further in the game.

Since I have completed the game before, using this exact disc, I don't think the game is at fault. I tried it first unpatched (V1.05) and then again patched (V1.2) but the error persists. What I'm curious to know is...what is causing the error? I've tried changing soundcards in the setup does nothing, running the game windowed/fullscreen, changing the DOSBox parameters that I understand, switching out the DOS4GW.EXE with the new freeware one mentioned on this site...none of that worked.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Also, has anyone here completed Stonekeep under DOSBox?

(Also, apologies if this is posted in the wrong place. I've never seen a forum with so many sub-forums before)

Reply 2 of 9, by Xerxes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Send me your savegame, i'll check this dragon key for you.

luke210 at wp.pl

Intel C2D E8500@3,6 Ghz, DDR2-800 2x2Gb Ram, MSI Radeon HD6950 Twin Frozr II/OC, Asus P5E Deluxe, Asus Xonar DX, HDD: WD 500AAKS x2, Windows 7 Professional 64bit

Reply 4 of 9, by Xerxes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm.. i didn't get it ;/ LUKE210 at WP.PL

right?

Intel C2D E8500@3,6 Ghz, DDR2-800 2x2Gb Ram, MSI Radeon HD6950 Twin Frozr II/OC, Asus P5E Deluxe, Asus Xonar DX, HDD: WD 500AAKS x2, Windows 7 Professional 64bit

Reply 6 of 9, by Xerxes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i get it now and i'm getting same error as you do (the one with the key). It's strange because i've completed SK under Dosbox, although older version and didn't have any problems with items in Faerie Realm.

ps. in order to get feather from shaman - i believe you have to kill him at his "home"

Reply 7 of 9, by Unkillable Cat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This points to what I suspected. When travelling between some levels (The Sharga Mines, Throggi Temple & Dragon Feeding Grounds) I would get a row of error messages in the DOSBox console. "Error reading/writing to XXXX" When this occurred, I would save the game, exit the game, start it up again and continue.

I believe that this has corrupted the savegame(s) somehow, resulting in the errors that I have described in this thread.

As it is virtually impossible to avoid these errors, I guess I will have to postpone playing Stonekeep until a new and improved version of DOSBox is released...or that I get a better computer. I thought that a 2 Ghz AMD computer would be sufficient. Perhaps I was wrong.

Anyway, thank you for your help, it has been invaluable.

Reply 9 of 9, by Xerxes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I didn't help, although i believe that the save is corrupt.