VOGONS

XCom 2 and 3

Topic actions

First post, by thrasha88

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I am using Dosbox .65 and have Windows Vista.

I have installed all three Xcom games (Dos Versions of 1 and 2 from my old CDs and floppies.) When using Dosbox, UFO Defense (Xcom1) works perfect - even the sound is great.

However, when running 2 and 3, it starts with the Dos4GW text and then goes to a blank screen and just stays there. It doesnt crash per se, but just turns black and stays that way. I cannot hear the sound, either.

Any suggestions? I have thoroughly searched the web for solutions but most talk about disabling Direct Draw and unfortunately Vista doesnt seem to allow you to disable anything in DxDiag.

I just find it strange that 1 works great but not 2 since they are virtually the same except for content. Anyway, any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Thrasha88

Reply 1 of 7, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I am using Dosbox .65 and have Windows Vista.

The first part might be solvable, ie. upgrading to dosbox 0.70.
After that be sure you configure the sound correctly, at first
maybe try with nosound.

Reply 2 of 7, by thrasha88

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I noticed the DosBox .7 version as I was reading this forum. I downloaded the new DosBox and experienced the same problems. For Apocalypse, the sound was stuttery with no video except the occasional garbled flash. I disabled the sound on both 2 and 3 and still get no video - just a blank screen.

Thanks for the thought, tho! I appreciate the feedback...any other suggestions?

thrasha88

Reply 4 of 7, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Perhaps a broken copy? My old floppies from that time tend to die already, among them was my X-Com 2 floppy set. You could have a corrupted file without noticing it.

You could try to replace DOS4GW with DOS32a (see the sticky topic in the forum for details). Apart from that and playing with configuration settings like memory and core, there should be no special action required. I have all three working.

Reply 6 of 7, by pseudon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone. I'm not sure if this is the right topic to post, but here is the problem: I got problems with running setup.exe to configure sound card of X-COM Apocalypse - it just hangs (with both versions 0.70 and 0.72) so I decided to try another distro and recently I got one, but when I tried to install the game using dosbox 0.72 the install has entered endless loop (seems like continuously checking files/directories on cd) with "Checking CD-ROM speed..." message, so I had to use 0.70 (there is no such problem, install works perfectly) to install the game but installed game refused to work with 0.70, but again the game successfully started when I used 0.72 to launch it (game works without problems except some crashes - I experienced them a long time ago when we all were gaming in dos/win95 so I think it's not dosbox problem).

It seems that something has changed in findfirst/findnext so they return one of the previous entries in directory what leads the program (X-COM's install.exe) to check the files again and again. - It's only my guess-work so there might be something else... The one thing I'm trying to say is that install works with 0.70 and hangs with 0.72 while with the game itself we see inversed situation 😉

Anyway - thanks a lot for your great work! 😎

Reply 7 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

hmm weird. I recall installing Xcom not that long before 0.71/72 and all was well then (bypassing the cdrom check by playing with the cycles)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!