VOGONS

First post, by Marian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, everyone!

I installed The Dame was Loaded from within DOSBox and then set up my sound (and I heard sound during the sound test--the game seemed to like either Gravis Ultrasound or SB--I chose Soundblaster with the default DOSBox sound settings--this after having downloaded the sound patch for the game).

So, all seemed well, and that went without incident.

When I go to run the game, though, all I get is a hang and a black screen.

I tried running the game through D-Fend and when the game tried to start up, I get the following error message:

Fatal error; can't spawn wintest code =1.

I have no idea what this means. Any help out there? It may be that I need to change some settings in DOSBox, but I have no idea what. I'm running the default configuration, although I did change core to dynamic in DOSBox; that made no difference and i still got the black screen and the hang.

Thank you for your time.

As a followup to this--I just tried the following, which is a comment for Dame was Loaded under the list of supported DOSBox games: "If the keyboard does not work and it is impossible to save/load and skip audio/video, this should help (tested with 0.61 official version): Delete or rename wintest.exe from the game directory and copy mem.exe there (where to find it: XP - C:\WINDOWS\system32; Win 98 - c:/windows/command), rename mem.exe to wintest.exe and run the game."

The above isn't the problem I'm having, as all I get is a black screen, but since my error message is about wintest I figured I'd give it a shot. No dice---I did the above, and I still get the same error message. At least I now know that wintest is located in the Dame folder. Not that this helps. But perhaps someone else will have an idea. 😀

Reply 1 of 4, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I tried running the game through D-Fend

Try it without, that is plain dosbox 0.70 installation and install the game
within dosbox (important).
Is the wintest.exe file present then somewhere in the directory where
you installed it to?

Reply 2 of 4, by Marian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wd wrote:
Try it without, that is plain dosbox 0.70 installation and install the game within dosbox (important). Is the wintest.exe file p […]
Show full quote

I tried running the game through D-Fend

Try it without, that is plain dosbox 0.70 installation and install the game
within dosbox (important).
Is the wintest.exe file present then somewhere in the directory where
you installed it to?

Hello, I appreciate your response! I should have been more clear; I only tried running it through D-Fend AFTER I had already tried loading the game up within DOSBox; I get the same results either way--a black screen and a hang. I also installed the game within DOSBox and didn't try a native Windows installation (not that I should have, but sometimes, with some games, that has worked for me when the other does not).

And yes, the wintest.exe file is present within the game directory in c:\ Dame (this is the default directory installation).

In the DOS-supported games list here, it does say that Dame was Loaded is supported with 0.65 (the version I am running). This is why I didn't check to see if I got the same results with 0.70. But if there are no other suggestions about this, I will give it a try with the newest version of DOSBox. 😀

Reply 3 of 4, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Yes, please try it with 0.70 and be sure you don't change the mounting
after you installed it (otherwise the paths get messed up).
Maybe somebody else has experience with this game to share.

Reply 4 of 4, by Marian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'll go ahead and install the newest version of DOSBox.

Before I do, I found this bit of information through a Yahoo search about The Dame Was Loaded (from a game review). This will help identify the problem, I believe:

"One newsgroup poster pointed out that Dame was running a program called wintest.exe which told the game to use high quality sound if in DOS and low-quality otherwise. I did a check and found wintest.exe returns an errorlevel of 1 in Windows and 0 in DOS. So what would happen, I thought, if I substituted a DOS program that would always return 0? So I copied c:/windows/command/mem.exe to the Dame directory, renamed it to wintest.exe (after renaming wintest.exe to xwintest.exe) and then ran the game."

The above was in reference to a sound problem he was having; though I passed the sound test and heard sound during setup, the above is the same error message that I receive when I try to run the game. I already tried the step above and it didn't work, but I will also try this again in case I messed up somehow. It's been known to happen. 😉

Thank you again. 😀

EDIT: I got the game running!! I went back and redid the steps above, and this time it worked! DOSbox and configuration of games reminds me of math class at times---one little step omitted or messed up, and you end up with the WRONG ANSWER! 😁

But I'm learning by doing---and a huge THANK YOU to the authors of DOSBox and all the other intelligent contributors to this board. You have given me dozens of games which I had given up for dead that have now been resurrected. Long Live DOSBox!!! 😀