VOGONS

Privateer joystick/mouse issues

Topic actions

First post, by jvieira

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all.

I have done alot of searching before posting (both here and other forums like the Wing Commander CIC boards), but found no answers.

I'm having really two problems with running this game in DOSBOX. Oh by the way this is Privateer w/Righteous Fire CD version, installed normally.

First I was trying to play with the mouse, but I find that it's horrible. No fine control. As if there is a huge deadzone in the middle of the screen. I don't remember it being that way back in the day (I played this with a mouse back then). It works normally for the most part (I mean it's not a performance issue), it just feels like there is a big deadzone in the middle, preventing fine manuevers. It's hard to explain, except as a large deadzone. In searching all I have ever found was one person who had the same problem, but no further messages or answers were forthcoming.

Secondly, I decided to try playing with the joystick.. but I can't get the game to calibrate properly with either of my joysticks. One is a Saitek P2500 gamepad (not preferred) and the other is a Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2. Both do the exact same thing, when I calibrate it, there is a large drift to the upper left corner of the screen. (I have tried using both plugged in together, and individually as well, to make sure one was not causing the other. They both behave identically and are both setup/calibrated properly in windows itself).

The way it drifted led me to try calibrating it unconventionally. It does the "upper left, lower right, centered" routine. But I calibrated by going upper left, centered, and then somewhere between centered and upper left. When I did this, the drift stopped, but movement was restricted to the upper left quarter of the joysticks motion. I tried this with both joysticks, and saw the same results. This makes me think it's not reading the axis correctly, perhaps the range of numbers is larger than it is expecting or something?

I did see other posts with people saying they had calibration issues, and I have also tried the joya.dat file that is on this board (and the WC CIC boards), as well as the following additions to my dosbox.conf file:

timed=false
autofire=false
swap34=false
buttonwrap=true

I'm just wondering if anyone else has ever had either of these problems, and if so, if they ever found a solution. None of the above made any difference. I'm not sure what to try next.

Thanks

Reply 3 of 29, by TrueBlueTheCat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I to have this same problem, im useing the newst 0.70 version of dosbox, ive always hated useing the mouse in flight sims but it seems to get stuck around the crosshairs in the game, and if i dont tell dosbox to disable the joystick period. after calibrating it just gose up to the upper left hand corner, and stays, i can berly get the mouse to move cus it continuly gose back there. i did try to check out the cvs in the dev section and i cant seem to find much on this sort of problem.
my joystick is a flight force, my other joystick is a wingman, both logitech
i am running win XP and both joysticks are calibrated, and i only keep one pluged in at a time (never both at the same time) any help on this would be nice, thanks

new MB $68
new Chip $250
new Vid Card $120
Copy of Oblivion $40
Watching your friend bang his head into a wall after he finds out that all his Hi-tech better than yours stuff still wont run it at the highest rez- PRICELESS!

Reply 4 of 29, by DerekReign

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I also had calibration problems, i.e. drifting to upper left with Microsoft Sidewinder. This conf solved it for me:

joysticktype=4axis
timed=false
autofire=false
swap34=false
buttonwrap=true

In Wing Commander I same problem, but here timed=true is required to solve it for me...

Reply 7 of 29, by DerekReign

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I changed only the following:

joysticktype=4axis
timed=false

Also, in Privateer I copied JOYA.DAT to JOYB.DAT. Now Joystick works fine, except for somehow large deadzone (which should be possible to adjust in Sidewinder properties).

Hope this helps.

Reply 8 of 29, by Neco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can't seem to resolve this issue either. Tried pretty much everything listed in this thread as well.

Also worth noting, even though I specify NO joystick in my frontend config, the game will still recognize the joystick unless I unplug it

Are there any other possible fixes to try?
I swear I had this same problem back on my PC when I first got the game too, which is messed up to say the least 😒

Reply 12 of 29, by dovonob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

I'm getting the same problem of the joystick drifting up/left on privateer, on wing commander 2 its the same but goes up/right, seems to be when the cycle goes over a certain point (which i think has been pointed out before)

I downloaded a couple of .diff files from a thread on here but I'm not sure what to actually do with them (newb). Does anyone know the solution to these problems or a link to the csv files that were mentioned in a previous post because I just can't find anything and it's starting to make me cry 🤐

I've had privateer for about 10 years and I've never actually played it before, now I've worked out how to use dosbox the joystick problem is frustrating to say the least.

I'm using the xbox 360 pad by the way in case that has any bearing on matter.

Reply 14 of 29, by dovonob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

sorry

windows xp
dosbox 0.71

I read that people had managed to fix it but none of the posts actually had the solution, well a solution i understood anyway, it had a couple of .diff files but i've never come across a diff file before, did look it up on google but it still made no sense to me.

what are these csv files in dev section that were mentioned? csv as in an exel file?

any help would be much appreciated.

Reply 16 of 29, by dovonob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi again

yes i've tried the JOYA.dat and JOYB.dat from origin and also the different suggested joystick settings for each game. If I start privateer without the joystick it's fine so it's definately a joystick issue.

Ignore my last post about the csv's (exel file indeed 🤣)

I thought it might be the 360 pad as quite a few people have mentioned they're using one but i sourced another usb joystick and that did the same on both games.

I'm wondering if maybe it's the frontend I'm using (D.O.G.) as a few people have mentioned that when selecting no joystick on frontends, dosbox still picks up a joystick, in fact on mine it says xbox 360 pad 4 axis 10 button gamepad irrelavent of what i choose so maybe the frontend is bugged regarding joysticks. Unfortunately i'm at work and can't test it at the moment....actually sod work maybe i can.....aahh but i don't have a pad on me...damnit. I'll give it a go later and post my findings.

I really want get to the bottom of this problem and find a solution as it seems a few people have this problem and have been unable to fix it. I have a IO timer fix from HAL which is a diff file, i see that this contains loads of code so could someone give me a clue what I'm supposed to do with it and I'll test it to see if it fixes the problems with privateer and WC2. Do I need the source code for dosbox to apply the code in or is it used in a different way, I've done a bit of coding in the past but not come across a diff file before?

I shall not rest untill I have found the problem 🙄

Reply 17 of 29, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

cvs!=csv, the first being a source management system
Hal's io patch is already present in 0.70+, if it's the same diff you're talking about.

Do you want to actually use the joystick for gameplay, or do you "just"
want to get rid of the drifting when playing the game with the keyboard?

Reply 18 of 29, by dovonob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

cvs!=csv

🤣 sorry i keep getting that the wrong way round 😵 yeah i investigated them further to find out what they were yesterday, imagine how foolish i felt when realised they had nothing to do with excel 😁

regarding hals IO, yes i think it is the same one, it was from his thread to where he'd posted a few different timer patches, gutted, that's that avenue closed then.

Yes I do want to use the joystick for gameplay, I've applied the JOYA.dat to privateer and there is no drifting if the joystick is unplugged.

In regards to wing commander 2 the joystick is fine untill the cycles go above 3500, then it starts drifting.

2 slightly different problems so i don't know if they are related or it's just chance. I think I've got wing commander 1 and privateer 2 somewhere in the depths of my stinky bedroom so I'll see if they have the same problems when i get home later, also I'll try running it straight through dosbox rather than using a frontend to see if that makes any difference.

After that I have no more ideas, man it's frustrating enough to make me want to play my xbox 360 (and i have to be proper bored to bother with that piece of junk) 😜

Reply 19 of 29, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

In regards to wing commander 2 the joystick is fine untill the cycles go above 3500, then it starts drifting.

Set timed=false in dosbox.conf. Or don't change the cycles ingame.