VOGONS

First post, by Marian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,

First off, has anyone tested Noctropolis with DOSBox 0.70? Is it supported?

I tried installing Noctropolis tonight in 0.65. I had conflicting reports in my research here on this game; one person said it wasn't supported; another person said the reverse, that the game DOES install and run properly in 0.65 as long as you include -label noctrop when mounting your CD-ROM. I followed the latter suggestion and the game did install; however, when I get to where I choose my sound settings, no matter what I choose, I get a complete freeze/lock-up immediately thereafter. I tried the default DOSBox IRQ, DMA, and interrupt with Soundblaster, Soundblaster Pro, and Soundblaster 16, with a total freeze/lockup with all of them.

I'll be installing 0.70 shortly, but I am curious if anyone here knows what sound settings Noctropolis is looking for? Additionally, can anyone corroborate getting the game to run in 0.65 or is the installation broken in some way?

Any input appreciated. 😀

Reply 1 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/comp_list.php?s … rch=Noctropolis

Should work.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 10, by Marian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MiniMax wrote:

Thank you. If anyone knows of sound settings this game approves of, I would appreciate the info. I wasn't sure if the freezes on sound setup were due to incompatibility with 0.65, or whether I was choosing the wrong sound settings for this particular game. I'll experiment with the sound settings in 0.70.

Reply 3 of 10, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

In general try configuring the game with sound blaster 16 (addr=220, irq=7, dma=1)
for sound effects, and general midi (addr=330) for music.

If something doesn't work just disable sound and see if that's the culprit.

Reply 4 of 10, by Marian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Will do. 😀 Those SB settings you mentioned caused a freeze/lockup in 0.65, but I'll try them again with 0.70. And I will keep the midi settings in mind. By the way, I also got the same freeze/lockup when I chose no sound at all, so I was thinking along the lines you mentioned.

I've got about eight old games so far running in DOSBox!! Life is good!! I sure love my old DOS games!! To the creators of DOSBox and the other folks around here who provide support---a great big THANK YOU!! 😀

Reply 5 of 10, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To whom it may concern: i've just installed and played the game. I copied the CD contents to a subdirectory, and mounted that - no need for a "label" parameter. It's possible that i have a later version of the game, though - on the cd, there are also windows install files.

The install batchfile (ORIGIN.BAT) hangs at the end of the installation process, causing DOSBox to become unresponsive. This doesn't matter, as the settings will be saved. Just go through the install, select your soundcard settings (autodetect works fine), and close DOSBox after it hangs. Now restart DOSBox, and start the game with "DARK.EXE". If you want to change the config, start "INSTALN.EXE". The game works fine with dynamic core, and 25.000 cycles on my old P4/2Ghz. I was using the latest 0.70 AEP CVS build.

Reply 6 of 10, by Marian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

[quote="ADDiCT"] The install batchfile (ORIGIN.BAT) hangs at the end of the installation process, causing DOSBox to become unresponsive. This doesn't matter, as the settings will be saved.

Hey, I really appreciate this!! I was getting the same hang at the end of installation, but did it occur to me to see if the game would run anyway? Um....no. 😉

I just went back and tried to run the game, and it runs just great!!

NOTE TO SELF: The next time I get a hang at the end of an install, go back and see if the game runs anyway. Sheesh!! 🤣

Reply 7 of 10, by pinkhitcher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all, I can't get Noctropolis to work in any DOSBox. I install it but for some reason, I get a Path Not Found error which looks scrambled on the dosbox screen. Has anybody played this game yet?

Reply 8 of 10, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It works perfectly. Read the above posts.

Did you install the game from an original CD? Are your mountings correct? Without further information, your post is just useless.