VOGONS

MAX Sound Crackling/Popping

Topic actions

First post, by Shoal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all. I recently got MAX: Mechanized Assault and Exploration up and running perfectly in DOSBox 0.70... except for its sound. The sound is plagued by annoying crackling and popping.

In previous games this has always been an issue of the CPU being too fast, but slowing down the CPU -- even drastically -- doesn't seem to help.

I've heard this game can run in VDMS, but I really don't like that program. I've had a lot of compatibility and sound sync problems with it in the past, and I've got very little faith in it as a result. (Not to mention that it once kinda screwed up my PC until I uninstalled it...)

Anyone have any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,

Shoal

Reply 2 of 22, by Shoal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did in fact help. Unfortunately, the actual game itself isn't running as well as I thought; it runs slow. Increasing the CPU speed, however, makes the sound issues worse. I can't seem to win! :(

Reply 4 of 22, by jynx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That is so cool. Back when MAX could run under XP (M$ has broken it, somehow, in the intervening years), the same sound problem happened under VDMS - I wrote a post about it 4.5 years ago (it's still there!). If you have fixed it, man, I'm gonna be lovin' it!

Reply 5 of 22, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

jynx, want to test my claims ? I don't mind it getting some testing before the next release.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 8 of 22, by jynx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's a LOT better! I didn't notice ANY performance issues during gameplay.

There are still some sound delays (gaps, minor pops) during the intro, and menu selection (one pop), but they're minor. The system I'm using right this second is a 2.8 GHz P4 w/ 512 Mb RAM.

Reply 12 of 22, by NeFuRii

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

On a lighter note, using it, I have now won my very first game of multiplayer MAX.

Can you elaborate on that? 😀
I'm trying to play max over the internet with my friend, but with little luck.
I suspect UDPs getting lost on the way to be the problem, since basically, everything is ok, we can connect, set up the game, etc, but every now and then (actually, every couple of minutes) there are error messages, either about some ID thing, or a pure disconnection message, sometimes even a complete shutdown of max.
Have you played multiplayer over LAN with little to none UDP loses?
Or is there some kind of other trick to make it work the internet? Like IPX emulating over TCP not UDP (but I read somewhere its still to be made in future dosboxes)
or perhaps modem emulating connection as I read its over TCP, but havent tried yet.
Any suggestions?
MAX is definetly worth the effort.

Reply 13 of 22, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you using an kind of VPN software in conjunction with DosBox such as Hamachi?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 14 of 22, by NeFuRii

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

me or jynx?
me not. but that might be a good idea to try out too. a bit amusing tho', dosemulation with ipx emulation on lan emulation.
anyways, i'm looking for confirmation, that so often game crashes, like every 1-5 minutes in network play are really due to udp loses, not something else, as we'll be trying a play on real LAN as well. Oh well, i'll try all three options then and state how it went. Maybe it'll help someone other, and maybe there'll be someone to play bigger games with:).
cheers

EDIT: but will hamachi help? Does hamachi emulate all networks over tcp? Isnt it like that, it emulates local area over the same protocol if possible over the internet? (hamachi was also used as a bypass for nats and firewalls, thefore there were needs to emulate quick UDP for fast action games over UDP over the internet, as emulating everything over tcp, could cause lag).
EDIT2 : "Hamachi is a UDP-based virtual private networking system." - from the hamachi webpage.

Reply 18 of 22, by NeFuRii

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok, I can confirm, that it was UDP's fault for sure 😀
game runs very well on internet while emulating the serial thing, which is tcp based. Played with a friend for 80 turns without a single crash, then some issues started, but it seems those were the games fault, not dosbox, nor network.And actually, latency doesnt mean much, you'll always have worse connection on the internet than on lan, since there are more network devices on the way, udp packets will always get lost on the internet. max doesnt need low ping network, but it does need a reliable one.
EDIT : on a side note, a funny thing, but the internet connection over tcp proved to work better than the perfect ultra fast lan connection on ipx/udp 😀

Reply 19 of 22, by jynx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
NeFuRii wrote:

On a lighter note, using it, I have now won my very first game of multiplayer MAX.

Can you elaborate on that? 😀

We agreed on a short game, therefore my opponent, who was hosting, picked a small map - "Three Rings".

I picked Von Griffin, with 3 scouts (upgraded scan, and speed), massively upgraded missile turrets (enough damage, I thought, to kill a normal tank in one shot), three constructors, two engineers (I think). I picked the center eastmost position, because there were chokepoints both above and below, making it an easier-to-defend position. As it turns out, I needn't have bothered...

I sent a scout southwest, and another northwest, while I slapped down a habitat, light vehicle factory, a power plant, and a training hall, and started construction of a missile turret. My plan was to kick out an infiltrator, and have some fun.

Turn 2 - spotted the enemy, southwest. Bad news. Tanks with 16 armor, 9 speed, and other sundry scary stats, along with a scanner, heading east. Worse news: he wasn't stopping to kill my scout. Crap.

Turn 3, sent my scouts in to the center of the map. He had chosen the tank-rush setup, Musashi, one constructor, which was building, and one engineer. He had left his base largely undefended as he swept towards mine. So, having nothing better to do, I sent my south scout in for a quick hit on the constructor, then my north scout to do the same. One more hit, constructor would be dead. Darn it, wouldn't you know he sent some of his scary tanks in for my scouts. Caught the southern one.

My attack surprised him, I guess, because he kind of pulled back from his advance for a turn.

I started making an infantry, hoping to slow his advance (I was pretty much thinking I was totally hosed).

Turn 4, quit making the infantry, started making a scout (had to pick one or the other, as I only had the one power generator). He protects his constructor by moving it into a nest of tanks. I notice a distinct resemblance between this sitation and one of the stand-alone missions called "The Great Abandon," which I had just beaten the day before. I took the point of that mission, and pull up my engineer that was building the turret, grab all the excess materials from my mine and head east into the great abyss. He smacks my scout. All I can hope for now is that he won't kill me before the new scout finishes.

Turn 5, in the words of Forrest Gump, "I was running!" The eastward trek is slow, 3 movement for 1 square on the water. 3 tanks park right next to my mining station on the south. Crap. He knows he has my butt.

Turn 6, I am clicking on my light vehicle plant for life, hoping to get my new scout out before it was too late. Luckily, out he pops, and runs north, as the tanks begin handily destroying my base. My construction crew is still running east, where my surveyor had found a weak resource field in the water.

Turn 7, I send my scout towards his base; what else was there to do? I saw a tank in the north, but passed by out of scan range... he was still having fun killing my base. It all died this turn, I think.

Turn 8, I see his constructor with some tanks... he tries to maneuver so that he can whack me at the beginning of the next turn, but I stay out of range (5 [all shots gone with movement 9] + 5 [tank range] = 10 squares, my scan was 13 or so, speed was also increased).

Turn 9, he pulls his tanks back to his constructor for defensive reasons. I'm desperately calculating paths to find a weakness in his defense so I can kill his constructor. I spot one, and only one, uncovered square at the extreme south of his constructor, at just the limit of my scout's speed. Lacking any other worthwhile goals, I turn off the "halt movement on enemy detection" option to avoid stopping in a tank's gun range, and blitz down to that square, and pop his constructor. It blewed up real good. I shout "That's game!" He was in the next room, so he was confused as to how I had won (he was new to M.A.X., but quite an experienced tabletop strategy gamer - he had much more insight to M.A.X. than I did, and I'd owned it for years). I showed him all my construction crew out on the water and explained that it would take me about 40 turns, but he was as good as dead because I had enough materials and could build everything I needed out on the water, where he had no way to reach me. It turns out he had 11 tanks and hadn't thought there was going to be a need for more constructors or engineers. He said he would have been waiting for me on the coast, to come back out of the water, and probably would have figured out 10 turns later that I wasn't coming back out of the water...