VOGONS

First post, by Sublevel21

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello.
I have this annoying problem with the game Blood. The game runs absolutely flawlessly for a couple of minutes, then it starts to slow down every 20 seconds. Then it runs fine again and after 20 seconds the slowdown appears again. The duration of the slowdown is about 5 seconds. This is very annoying and i dont understand whats going on. Please can someone tell my whats wrong?

Im using a P4 3GHZ with 1G RAM with a 256MB Radeon 850XT PE graphics card

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 21, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Run Blood in a window, open task manager and monitor task manager and your processes while you play.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 21, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is the only program in which you experience such slowdowns?
Try to have a look at the hardware temperatures as well, sounds like thermal throttling 😅

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Reply 4 of 21, by Sublevel21

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh, i just noticed when i start Blood using DosBox this message appears:

"14Mb memory used
LOW MEMORY WARNING: Blood requires 24MB of free memory
You may experience problems"

I should be able to adjust this in DosBox somehow, but how?

Reply 12 of 21, by Sublevel21

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have no idea. It just doesn't make any sense. It runs completly fine for a few minutes then the slowdown starts. They are not random, its like this:

3 minutes all fine
first lag 5 sec
runs fine 20 sec
second lag 5 sec
runs fine 20 sec
And so on so on...

It doesnt matter if i change to another level or if theres few/many objects on screen.
All of a sudden it just starts, for no reason.

Reply 13 of 21, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

DosFreak: Im not sure what to look at here.. theres nothing else eating memory.

We want to know about CPU usage not memory.

alavro84: according to ATI Control Center the temperature is 67c

That's the temperature of your video card?

Reply 15 of 21, by Sublevel21

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well DosBox uses about 40-50% CPU. When the slowdowns occur it drops down to about 30%.
The other processes uses 0% cpu, and when the slowdowns accur some of them raises to 1-2% cpu usage.

Reply 16 of 21, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do you have a CPU temperature monitor installed?
Is there any kind of temperature control program being used?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 18 of 21, by Sublevel21

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I actually think it has to do with the graphics card overheating. When playing current gen games i can hear the fan goin' like crazy, but when using DosBox its completely silent.. can this be the problem?

Reply 19 of 21, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe, but I don't think it's very probable. Dosbox, I think, does not stress the graphic card too heavily. Even my radeon 9600 pro could output anything under DosBox with any shaders that come with it in the resolutions I used it (1024*768, 1280*960), and my geforce 8600 gt can do 1920*1200 without virtually any performance loss (well, if I run SuperEagle shader 640*480 Blood start position framerate drops from 49 to 46-48 or something similar, the interesting thing is that it doesn't matter at all if I accidentally leave 8xQAA on 😕 ok, it's just 2 triangles, filling the screen once per frame 😀)
I can't say anything about GPU fans, I use passive cooled vcards 🤣

But DosBox uses the CPU much more intensively: on singhe core CPUs it should be 90-ish per cent running it at auto speed, and something like 40-50 on dual cores or HT enabled processors (it tries to use one of the cores to its fullest) (damnit, I forgot to have a look at its CPU usage on my shiny new Conroe-based rig, but on my AthlonXP it definitely used around 90%)

Those drops in the CPU usage might indicate that something runs there that shouldn't 😒 or it should, just it has an impact on DosBox performance. My single core AthlonXP usually ran uTorrent and boinc alongside DosBox transparently, but a virus scan can be more demanding.

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts