VOGONS

First post, by discuspro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay don't laugh, I'm new, but how would a person place one of the .img files, like king's quest 1, from retrograde station onto a 360K floppy if a person wanted to? I've got the 360K drive that came with the PCjr and I also have a working PCjr. I also have a 1.2M 5.25 floppy drive that Windows XP, which I'm running, can read. XP can't read the 360K drive but in DOS it works perfectly. I've tried using winimage in windows, and img2dsk in dos 6.22 to put these images onto a disk that I thought would be readable but I always get the problem of the disk being unreadable and the computer asks if I want to format the disk, or if I'm in dos it no longer can read the disk. What am I doing wrong or not doing?

It might be easier for me to see how someone who is more experienced would go about burning one of these images onto a 360K 5.25" disk to make it operable in an IBM PCjr.

Reply 1 of 2, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DOS itself may not be able to read a booter -- there are booters with non-standard directory structure. The bigger problem is that there are some hardware incompatibilities between 1.2M and 360K drives. Reading is typically not a problem but if you write on 1.2M drive the disk may be unreliable on 360K. I had to deal with this problem years ago, it was driving me nuts. Try formatting disk on the destination PCjr drive first and then write image without reformatting, that may help.

Reply 2 of 2, by discuspro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay I just tried this:

**Before I hooked the PCjr 360K drive up to the new computer I made a bunch of formatted disks on the IBM PCjr under DOS 2.1

On my newer machine I hooked up my PCjr 360K 5.25" drive. I loaded up Windows XP and made two 3.5" floppy disks; #1 had DOS 6.22 and #2 had the file TOUCHDWN.IMG.

So, then I rebooted my newer computer and had the #1 disk DOS 6.22 in the 3.5" drive, hit F5 to bypass config.sys and autoexec files and came up to a A:> prompt. I then typed "xcopy a: b:", 3.5 is at a: 5.25 360K is at b, a split second after that, while it was searching for the source, I put in the 3.5" disk #2 with TOUCHDWN.IMG on it, and let it copy TOUCHDWN.IMG to the IBM PCjr formatted 360K 5.25" drive. I then checked B:> to see if TOUCHDWN.IMG was copied and it was.

Next I placed the 360K IBM PCjr drive back into the PCjr. I booted the PCjr up with DOS 2.1 and came up to a A:>. I already had a 5.25" disk with IMG2DSK files on it copied from Retrograde Station. I then ran IMG2DSK, it asked "Enter image filename:" and I entered "TOUCHDWN.IMG", then it asked "Enter drive letter:" and I entered "A". Right before I entered "TOUCHDWN.IMG" I placed the disk that I had made on the new computer with the file TOUCHDWN.IMG that I made as seen in the previous paragraph. So, then after I entered "A" it said "Image is 320K, 40 tracks, 2 sides, 8 sectors/track". Then right after that it asked for a formatted disk to be placed in the drive with proper capacity. I placed a 360K 5.25" formatted on the PCjr floppy disk and it went through and wrote up until it read "Writing track 27, side 1" and then it said "All done!". I then typed dir while the supposed disk that was wrote on was in the drive but it found no files.

The only thing that I have succesfully been able to make was a DOS 2.1 disk, which I got the image from a different source and it had the suffix ".VFD". I used WinImage under Windows XP and wrote to my 1.2M 5.25" floppy drive. I guess WinImage formatted the disk properly in the 1.2M 5.25 drive to allow it to actually boot up the IBM PCjr with DOS 2.1

That's as far as I have gotten and I can't figure out what is wrong.

I remember the way to run Touchdown football on the IBM PCjr was to boot up with DOS 2.1 and then insert the disk with the Touchdown files on it and then type TOUCHDWN and it would start loading. I guess I'm expecting that once I try and put the TOUCHDWN.IMG image onto a disk I should be able to see files on the disk that I wrote it on so that I can type TOUCHDWN and have the program load. Will that not be able to happen even if I transfer the touchdown image file to disk successfully some how? Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, I was a kid then and I'm trying get some programs up and running.