VOGONS

First post, by Da_maniaC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey there,

I recently installed the latest version of DosBOX (0.70) after hearing ppl say that there were several improvements in performance.
The strange thing is however, i do not seem to be able to play Blake Stone anymore. I have the full version of Aliens Of Gold but whenever i start bs_aog.exe or bstone.bat i just get a black screen with a black and white outlined cursor.

I have tried reinstalling Blake Stone several times but this had no effect, whatsoever.

Games like Doom however seem to run flawlessly with great fps too, so i am guessing there is nothing wrong with the DosBox install itself.

Am i doing something wrong here?

http://www.zdaemon.org ZDaemon! A client/server port for Doom!

Reply 6 of 22, by Da_maniaC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there a way to patch your Blake Stone to thelatest version? 😀

[Edit]

I found some patches here:
http://www.3drealms.com/blake/index.html

Will see if they work. 😀

Reply 10 of 22, by Da_maniaC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah...

If i try installing the patches using DosBOX rather then MS dos prompt i dont get the runtime errors.

I mount the folder the patch is in to C and mount my Blake Stone folder to D.
Then when i want to patch it asks me to put in the original disk in drive C.
But this sounds unlogical to me, because i just mounted that drive as the directory the patch is in.

Reply 12 of 22, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Start your time machine, and travel 20 years back in time.

On which drive would your game have been installed back then?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 13 of 22, by Da_maniaC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Before you start getting sarcastic, you do realise that i can specify the exact location of my blake stone directory when im using the patch installer?

Reply 14 of 22, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can't blame MiniMax for being sarcastic, for a number of reasons:

- It's quite logical that you have to use the patches inside DOSBox (old game, old patches - why should they work in XP?). Oh, and if you're using XP, you do not have a "DOS Prompt", sorry. It's called NTVDM, and it has not very much in common with DOS. Or are you using Win9x? You failed to provide this (possibly important) information until now.
- The patches do not ask for the original disk (I've just tried them out myself)
- When you start the patch, it asks for the location of the game directory ("C:\BSTONE" by default). Just change that path to wherever you have BS installed

I can't update my versions, though. I learned that there are various compiles of BS. You can find out the compile date and version by running "BS_AOG.EXE /VERSION". I've identified three different versions (all v2.0R) so far, and none of them can be updated with the patches on Patches-Scrolls.

Ehm... But i can't understand your problem in the first place. I've installed BS for the very first time (didn't play it back in the day), and it worked instantly, without changing the default DOSBox config (it was very slow, though - didn't really play it, no time). Maybe you have some strange setting in your dosbox.conf? BS seems to autodetect soundcards upon startup (there is no setup prog, after all), that could be a problem. As a test, you should try to start the game with low cycles, like 2000 or 3000. Use a "clean" dosbox.conf.

EDIT: and, btw: 2.00R does work in DOSBox.

Last edited by ADDiCT on 2007-07-12, 03:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 15 of 22, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

wrong, blake stone comes with a sound setup utility, also, mount your C:\ drive as C:| and your D:| as D:| then try the patcher.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 16 of 22, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, you are wrong. It's not a sound setup program, it's a program to change the "BLASTER" environment variable in AUTOEXEC.BAT. This is useless in DOSBox. Check your stuff before saying anyone's wrong.

It doesn't matter where exactly the patcher app is located (drive/path). After starting, it will extract some files directly into the game directory (default C:\BSTONE), and start a batchfile afterwards, which then calls a PATCH.RTP. Standard procedure, nothing esoteric.

Reply 17 of 22, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Da_maniaC wrote:

Before you start getting sarcastic, you do realise that i can specify the exact location of my blake stone directory when im using the patch installer?

People with only 8 posts should think twice before questioning people with +2000 posts. Especially when the original poster is asking for advice and help.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 18 of 22, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yes, it modifies the sound environment in an original DOS environment, thus it is a sound setup.

DOSbox is not a standard DOS environment.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 19 of 22, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Franpa: that is still not correct. Being a bit bossy, eh? Changing a line in autoexec doesn't "setup" anything. It's just a help for the game's auto-detection. I know that i'm right, and you're wrong, no matter what you write. You should stop discussing the topic, before you make a complete fool out of yourself.