Topic actions

Reply 60 of 66, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Damn wd is fast....

See post below.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2007-11-06, 13:26. Edited 2 times in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 62 of 66, by vicg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There hasn't been any update recently and I was just wondering if the EMS memory problem with PADS-PCB was ever resolved. If so, did you get it working and what did it take?

Been a bit busy the last couple of months but have got the heavy debug version of DOSBOX up and intend to dig in to PADS and see what I can find,as time allows, but I hav'nt done any PC debugging for several years so it will be a bit slow going at first. (All my code writing these days is for good old Z80!!!) Will come back when I have any news.

Reply 63 of 66, by Plan9FOS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First of all, Thanks to wd for working on the Numeric Keypad problem!

I downloaded the CVS from 11/09/2007 which had fixes listed for the LIN4 Palette setting and "forward state of caps/numlock to mapper event system".
I can't really test the LIN4 fix until there's a build with Vasyl's SVGA code.
But I tried PADS Perform at 640x480 to test the keyboard.
Unfortunately, the Numeric Keypad and the inv-T cursors still have the same problem.
And the NumLock LED still starts out of sync. But that is a minor problem. It's not difficult to remember to press the NumLock key 3 to 4 times to get it in sync.

The main problem seems to be that DOSBox sends the same keycode to the application for 2 different keys. I'll use the following 2 keys as an example:
the inv-T right cursor key and
the Numeric Keypad #6/right cursor key.

Assume the following:
default mapper.txt file (no customization) and
have already pressed the NumLock key 3 to 4 times to get it in sync.

Case 1, NumLock on:

pressing inv-T right cursor should move screen cursor 1 grid to the right,
actual - works perfect

pressing Numeric Keypad #6/right cursor should cause a #6 in the status line at the bottom of the screen,
actual - works perfect

Case 2, NumLock off:

actual - works perfect

pressing Numeric Keypad #6/right cursor should cause screen to pan about 3/4 screen to the right,
actual - incorrect; moves screen cursor 1 grid to the right (same as the inv-T right cursor).

So it appears that when the NumLock is off, PADS is getting the same keycode for the inv-T right cursor and the Numeric Keypad #6/right cursor keys.
That is my main problem. PADS depends heavily on having the Numeric Keypad windowing functions (NumLock off) for basic navigation AND on the inv-T cursors for small grid movements. It works in MSDOS v6.22 and Win98SE. But I can't get both in DOSBox. That's what I need fixed. (Without the mapper I get the small grid movement, but no panning).

Since PADS is used mostly with the NumLock off (traditional number keys across the top of the keyboard are used for numbers),
I tried using the mapper to set:
key_right "key 275" (default, no change) and
key_kp_6 "key 275" "key 262" (modified, added "key 275")

This results in the following:

Case 2, NumLock off:

actual - incorrect; causes screen to pan about 3/4 screen to the right (same as the Numeric Keypad #6/right cursor)

pressing Numeric Keypad #6/right cursor should cause screen to pan about 3/4 screen to the right,
actual - works perfect.

Again, it appears that when the NumLock is off, PADS is getting the same keycode for the inv-T right cursor and the Numeric Keypad #6/right cursor keys. (With the mapper customization I get panning, but no small grid movement).

I tried all cases with usescancodes=false and true, but it made no difference.

A side note:

This particular CVS has several bugs such as:
cannot start mapper, Cntrl-F1 doesn't work
mouse does not work properly for some things when starting in Full Screen mode. After switching to Windowed mode, mouse works correctly. After switching back to Full Screen mode, mouse works correctly.

Reply 64 of 66, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

> cannot start mapper, Cntrl-F1 doesn't work
try alt+pause

> which had fixes listed for the LIN4 Palette
that's not the fix you need

> Unfortunately, the Numeric Keypad and the inv-T cursors still have the same problem.
I can only test with pcb but there it seems to work correctly (in sync, even after fullscreen and back, either numbers in the command line or move the screen, Windows 2000 😉 ).

1+1=10

Reply 65 of 66, by Plan9FOS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alt-Pause brings up a Config Window and the Keyboard selection brings up the Mapper.
One bug though: after starting the Mapper and Exiting (didn't save anything) and then Closing the Config Window, I can't close DOSBox by clicking on the X in the upper right (standard Windows Close Window). I have to type "exit" at the DOSBox prompt. Or click on the Desktop or activate a different program's window (besides the DOSBox Status Window). Then I can click on the Close Window X and it will close.

Understood, I presume I need Vasyl's fix?

I'm using Windows XP SP2 on 3 desktops and Windows Vista Home Premium on 2 notebooks. I've never had both the Numeric Keypad windowing AND inv-T cursors work correctly on any of them with DOSBox from v0.70 (CAD Edition), v0.72 (ykhwong 10/19), or the CVS mentioned above. I can get one, but not the other. As soon as I have time, I will unzip PADS-PCB and check it. If I remember correctly though, when I was testing EMS and video for vicg, the Numeric Keypad didn't work correctly for PCB either. I'll report back after I test for that though.

If I read correctly, without any mapper customization, you get numbers when NumLock is on and windowing (such as panning) when NumLock is off. Is that correct? Or did you have to use my mapper.txt file? (I can get numbers and windowing with my mapper.txt, but the mapper.txt messes up the inv-T cursor function).

But the most important thing is, with NumLock off, did you get BOTH the windowing functions (such as panning) from the Numeric Keypad AND the small grid motion of the screen cursor from the inv-T cursors? That's the important thing. NumLock on isn't as important since numbers are available from the traditional Number Keys across the top of the keyboard. But getting the 2 different NumLock off functions is VERY important (Numpad windowing and inv-T cursor small grid motion).

Thanks