VOGONS

First post, by Marian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,

I just installed this obscure game from 1996 called Detritus by Myndgaemz. I'm running DOSBox 0.70. The game installation went fine but did not give me any sound setup options during installation. After having determined that the game did not detect my sound settings automatically (no sound in-game), I ran the install again and noted that at the end of the install it told me I could change sound settings by running sound.exe in the Detritus directory. I'm running the default sound configuration in DOSBox.

When I do this, instead of getting a sound options screen, I get the following in DOSBox:

echo off
illegal command:setd.
illegal command:setm.
file soundrv.com not found
file midpak.ad*not found
file midpak.com not found

If someone could point me in the right direction as to what the source of this problem could be and how to get the sound set up so that the game would recognize it, it would be much appreciated.

I just noticed DOSBox 0.71. I will be downloading that very soon!! Thank you, guys!! 😀

Reply 1 of 7, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Are you sure the setup program is called sound.exe ?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 7, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

If that SOUND.BAT is not too big, perhaps you could post/attach it here? It probably uses some commands that DOSBox does not implement.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 7, by Marian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The other strange thing was that during the actual install, a screen came up and disappeared as quickly as it came, saying "sound installation." No options, no chance to do anything, almost like the screen flashing and then on to the rest of the install. Then, at the end of the install, it said to run sound if I wanted to change sound settings. But based on the error message I received, it seemed like it had recognized nothing in the way of sound card detection to begin with.

Anyway, if it doesn't work, no sweat. It's supposed to be a pretty awful game, anyway. I was just morbidly curious to see if it was truly as bad as I've heard. 😉

I'll check out the sound.bat and see if it's small enough to post/attach it here. Thank you for your time. 😀

Reply 5 of 7, by hungSolo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Marian -- I had the same problem. As I recall, I copied the files from the SETUP folder on the disc (actually, from the virtual disc in DAEMON Tools) and pasted them into the installation folder. After that, the game could find setd.exe, setm.exe, etc., as well as the sound drivers. Didn't make the game any better, though. 😉

Reply 6 of 7, by Marian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
hungSolo wrote:

Marian -- I had the same problem. As I recall, I copied the files from the SETUP folder on the disc (actually, from the virtual disc in DAEMON Tools) and pasted them into the installation folder. After that, the game could find setd.exe, setm.exe, etc., as well as the sound drivers. Didn't make the game any better, though. 😉

Thank you very much for this! I will give it a try. Perhaps I won't be deprived of this "interesting" experience of a game, after all! 😉

I appreciate your posting this. 😀