VOGONS

First post, by speon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

To clarify, I didn't have any of these troubles with U7 and versions 0.71 and lower - as best as I can tell, my settings are the same as they've ever been.

The Guardian's intro speech skips and hitches in U7, at nearly any cycle speed and with any cpu core and sound card IRQ setting. The rest of the game's audio (using an external MT-32) is fine.

With 0.72, oddly, the speech will skip much less with the cycles set extremely low, <300, but at that point, the game is unplayable. Typically, I play the game with core=auto and cycles=7700 with my Intel E6600 (not overclocked).

I've tried IRQs 5 and 7 (via the .conf and the game's installer) to no avail. These have all been set-and-forget in the past - I've never had any trouble up to this version.

Oddly, Serpent Isle is fine. All other SB games (that I've tried) are fine.

All SB types seem to exhibit the same behavior. GUS, Disney and Tandy emulation are disabled.

I wouldn't be surprised if something is hosed on my side, but if anyone could confirm or provide a workaround - I'd be grateful.

Win XP Pro SP2
SB X-Fi Elite Pro
Intel E6600 @ 2.4 GHz
2 GB of RAM
DOSBox 0.72
DX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by speon on 2007-09-09, 03:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 33, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dosbox 0.72, Cycles 15000, Core - normal, Default sound options.....speech doesn't skip a beat. Hmm...must be something on your side.

I'm trying to imagine what it could be. Have you tried playing with the priority? It's defaulted to "Higher", maybe try setting it to normal or higher and see if it helps.

Reply 2 of 33, by speon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Changing the priority didn't seem to help...I had also noticed it skipping while the process was in the background earlier (normal being the second setting currently).

I'm far from an expert, but it sounds similar to an interrupt conflict, though the behavior of the skipping changes with extreme cycle adjustment.

Reply 4 of 33, by speon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just tried the game out with both SB and SBPro modes for music and SFX - both skipping equally as before.

The music plays back correctly in both these modes with maybe a couple of milliseconds here and there of popping (I don't recall any in previous DOSBox versions however), but several sound effects (non-digital) in the intro skips just as much as the speech (digital) does. The rest of the in-game SFX sound OK.

I always assumed all "SFX" in U7 were done with the OPL chip in Ad-Lib or SB modes, and don't know why they would be handled any differently than the music - again, I'm no expert though.

Reply 5 of 33, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

If you have set the game to use a MT-32 then sfx will be played by the MT-32 as well. Only speech will be played by the SB16 then. This doesn't help with your problem though. It might be a speed thing, especially since you don't have the problem with SI (SI had a "speed" regulator - for lack of the correct word - so it would not run too fast on modern computers).

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 33, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah but <15000 cycles and Ultima VII runs as it should, if a little choppy. So I don't think it would be speed related at 7700 cycles. It's almost like his machine is having difficulty, yet an E6600 shouldn't have any problems with 7700 cycles.

You say at "any" cycle setting it does this? Even at say - 20000 or 30000? Thats too fast to be playable, but does it skip?

Reply 7 of 33, by speon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

It might be a speed thing, especially since you don't have the problem with SI (SI had a "speed" regulator - for lack of the correct word - so it would not run too fast on modern computers).

I would agree, yet the speech/speed worked perfectly up until 0.72 specifically. I've upgraded my video card recently, but other than that there hasn't been any hardware or software changes to speak of.

Last edited by speon on 2007-09-09, 21:53. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 8 of 33, by speon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You say at "any" cycle setting it does this? Even at say - 20000 or 30000? Thats too fast to be playable, but does it skip?

Yes there's still skipping at high cycles, although less so than at game playable cycle settings. It's quite odd...I find the reduced skipping at very low cycles settings to be the most head scratching.

Reply 9 of 33, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On the bright side speech isn't a major part of Ultima VII right? Irritating problem none-the-less though.

Have you attempted an "auto" cycles amount? Not really a good idea for playing this game (too fast) but it's worth a try. EMS is of course disabled right? Stupid question I guess, since it shouldn't even run with it enabled. Have you tried changing the blocksize and sound quality settings? Maybe frameskip?

Something ought to at least work...

Reply 12 of 33, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you have double buffering enabled? I just noticed when I tried it even my music was skipping for some reason. Turning it off solved it. May or may not be related.

Reply 13 of 33, by speon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Do you have double buffering enabled? I just noticed when I tried it even my music was skipping for some reason. Turning it off solved it. May or may not be related.

Well, I'm playing in windowed (normal3x) mode typically and double buffering was already disabled. Enabling it didn't seem to introduce any changes with regard to audio.

By the way, thanks for all the suggestions everyone. U7 is probably my "flagship" DOSBox title. 😀

Reply 14 of 33, by speon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

It might be a speed thing, especially since you don't have the problem with SI (SI had a "speed" regulator - for lack of the correct word - so it would not run too fast on modern computers).

Alas, I know. 😒 If only OSI hadn't lost the source code to Ultima VII. I bet they would have retroactively patched frame limiting in at some point.

Currently, there isn't really a "perfect" cycle setting for The Black Gate. For example, a good setting inside Trinsic (lots of overlapping tiles, eggs and NPC AI) will cause emptier wilderness areas to run slightly too fast and vice-versa.

Ah well, this is where the flexibility of DOSBox really shines. 😀

Reply 15 of 33, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I bet they would have retroactively patched frame limiting in at some point.

suuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrre, like they cared much for any of their older titles once they were under EA orders...
"losing the source" was just one of their excuses, they didn't look too hard or they would have found it on one of their old employees.

Reply 16 of 33, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
speon wrote:

By the way, thanks for all the suggestions everyone. U7 is probably my "flagship" DOSBox title. 😀

It's my fav game of all time personally 😉 It's where I got my online nickname "avatar".

Currently, there isn't really a "perfect" cycle setting for The Black Gate. For example, a good setting inside Trinsic (lots of overlapping tiles, eggs and NPC AI) will cause emptier wilderness areas to run slightly too fast and vice-versa.

Yeah you're telling me. 🙁 It's a shame too, because I prefer the original code rather than Exult (Again, no offence meant Dominus as it's an amazing program) I just like how the AI acts and the overall nuances that only the original game provides.

I chose about 15000 cycles and it seems to do pretty well. It runs faster than I'd like in certain areas, but at least the menu remains responsive.

Reply 17 of 33, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

none taken, Avatar 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 19 of 33, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

he he
(though I do have to warn that this is asking for trouble especially in SI since it could set some flags that shouldn't be set)