VOGONS

First post, by solarairhead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am trying to play Wizardy Adventure Nemesis and it took me awhile just to get the CDs and now I can't get it to play. Everytime I solve one problem more and more come up. I keep getting Can't load digital driver or midi driver. Can someone help me out? I am running Windows Vista Home Basic... yeah I know. The b*tch of the Windows series.

Reply 1 of 9, by solarairhead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I also tried configuring dosbox to play this but it just tells me it can't load the configuration and to open SETSOUND. This happens when I open the nemesis.bat on dosbox.

Another problem that happens when I open the Nem.EXE on dosbox is that it says Error -- No CD-Rom Drives Detected. Or MSCDEX Not loaded. right after I did the mounting of my cd-rom drive (which is E) in Doxbox to install MSCDEX.

I hate VISTA.

Reply 2 of 9, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

We need to know how you tried to configure dosbox (which file + complete path, which editor). We need to know how you start dosbox, we need to know how your mount commands look like, we need the exact error message. The more information you can supply, the quicker we can suggest sensible things for you to try.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 9, by solarairhead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Honestly, I've nerriest the idea. I downloaded and installed the .72 version dosbox. I mounted my cd rom according to the instructions on the dosbox wiki page on the "Can't read my cdrom" faq. I installed MSCDEX on the basic mounting, the -secuse and the iotc (however it's spelled. too tired right now.) and I even copied the entire cd rom onto my computer directory and tried mounting that as a cd rom. Either it says the cd drive is not mounted or it can't read it or that it can't load configuration and to open SETSOUND. I tried starting dosbox in every way, even dragging the NEM.EXE file over to DOSBOX. The error messages look like this...

Error -- No CD-Rom Detected or MSCDEX Not Loaded

Unable to Load Full Screen Mode (common if not started with doxbox.)

When I start it with Nem.Bat is says Can't Load Sound Configuration File. Run SETSOUND.

I even added the patch to the Nem.EXE that fixes the "Unable to read disk" problem.

I don't know what to do. Sorry if my description is a bit vague, I am an idiot with this kind of stuff...

Reply 6 of 9, by solarairhead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My CD Rom drive is on drive E.

Z:>mount D "E:\" -t cdrom

Z:>mount -cd
CDROMs found: 1
0. E:\
1. J:\

Z:>mount D "E:\" -t cdrom -usecd 0

Z:> mount D "E:\" -t cdrom -usecd 0 -ioctl

Z:> mount D "E:\" -t cdrom -usecd 0 -aspi

Z:>mount D C:\NEMESIS_CD -t cdrom -label NEM_CD1
MSCDEX: Mounted subdirectory: limited support.
Drive D is mounted as CDRom.

I did ALL of that to Mount it. I did it exactly as the faq said. I then tried several different methods of starting the game, dragging both Nem.EXE and NEM.BAT to Dosbox, opening dosbox and navigating to the directory and executing through there. And nothing. Thats all I did.

Reply 7 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

you haven't mounted a directory on your hard drive to c.
From what I gathered from your description, you drag and drop something from your CD to Dosbox, that is problematic since I think it then mounts your CD-Rom as drive c.
Please try this
- create a directory in C:\ called Games, make sure normal users have read AND write access to it
- start Dosbox and type the followig (after each line press enter)
mount c c:\games
mount d e:\ -t cdrom
d:
nem.bat (or whatever is needed to start the game installation, probably something like install.exe install.bat or...)

Please do exactl that and report back how it works for you.

Reply 8 of 9, by solarairhead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, I was able to play the game after installing it like that. But after quitting, it goes right back to the problem that it can't detect the drive. So I repeated the mounting of the cdrom and the directory I installed the game to and launched Nem.exe from DosBox manually to get it to run again. Do I have to keep doing this to play the game each time?

Thank you btw!! 😄 😅

Reply 9 of 9, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

No, if you read the README file it will magically mount the drives everytime (well, almost automagically).

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions