VOGONS

Reply 21 of 37, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Like the poster above me stated, you should seriously get a legit copy. I myself would recommend the Battle.Net edition, as it runs natively on Windows, it doesn't have any of the speed issues that the DOS version has, the multiplayer has been improved, and the expansion pack is on the same disc as the base game, so there's no disc-swapping! Also, it's quite easy to find on Ebay, and it shouldn't run you more than 25 bucks. 😎

The only problems you might encounter with a battle.net edition are distorted colours (fixed with registry or an app someone made and posted here, I think) and crashes to desktop in one particular map for single player if you scroll to one particular corner (oddly enough...malfunctions when being orc or human).

Reply 22 of 37, by mccoy901

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm sorry but my non-computer lingo hurts me on blogs when talking to you all who have better terminology. I purchased the original TOD PC Game from a seller on Ebay and then the expansion set from another seller on ebay. I did not download them from a website. I apologize for the confusion. I spent aboyut $20 on both the games, total shipping and all. I thought I would save some money that way. However, given that I have the PC Games in my possession and bought them (not stole them) and loaded the games to my computer (not downloaded over internet), are there any solutions for me? Your help much appreciated!

mccoy901

Reply 23 of 37, by mccoy901

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I do-I meant that I downloaded them to my computer after I purchased the PC games from 2 different Ebay sellers. I'm not a computer whiz or know a lot of good lingo to explain what I really need. I can barely navigate myself thru this blog or forum to save my life. A guy named Adam Pierce halfway across the world from me told me to come here and post my problem. This is literally the 2nd blog I've ever been to. haven't a clue how to navigate thru this thing. Anyway, I did download DOSbox as the sellers and my uncle confirmed. My uncle is computer literate but had no solutions for me for this problem but the screen blacks out and goes to the desktop while playing. His only suggestion was to lower some screen settings (graphics) but that didn't work the next time I tried to play.

mccoy901

Reply 25 of 37, by mccoy901

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I changed the screen settings on Windows desktop>right click on desktop>click on properties>click on Settings>lowered screen resolution = no help. I don't know enough about WarCraft II to change anything inside the game. The screen sometimes would black out inconsistently between scenarios but now its clock work on the the current scenario. What do you think?

mccoy901

Reply 26 of 37, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, the desktop resolution doesn't have anything to do with DosBox's, what your uncle and the other person meant could have been to change DosBox's resolution, and while you're at it, probably change DosBox's output too...
That's done in dosbox.conf.
You still haven't posted what kind of machine are you using...OS, CPU, RAM?
Battle.net edition is still a better solution, though.

Reply 27 of 37, by mccoy901

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

E Machines w/ Microsoft Windows xp Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 3 / AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+ 1.99 ghz / 896 MB of RAM.
Does that answer your quetion? I apologize but I'm not that computer literate. Thanks for your patience & help!

mccoy901

Reply 28 of 37, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is still rather important that you get the latest official DosBox.
The processor is probably slow for running Warcraft 2 under DosBox and it could be argued that you have too little RAM, I haven't tried the original for n years, since I bought a battle.net edition and I'm quite happy with it, but if it works right and you're losing video (blackouts), you can try changing DosBox's output to directdraw or opengl...in dosbox.conf.
I digged out my original battlechest and Warcraft 2 works with no problems, so, I stand: get the latest DosBox and change your output. I'm using OpenGL but it's up to you to find out which works best in your case and depending on your video card, which you didn't list.
If it's one of those old Intel integrated thingies, well...I had to use one for some time, since my vidcard had died and it had a number of problems with a lot of things, not only DosBox...

Reply 29 of 37, by mccoy901

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the idea but I'll have to get my uncle or cousin to show me through your solution on my PC. Thanks! I'll post back on the next few days on what is he result.

mccoy901

Reply 30 of 37, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It really is a simple text file, you can edit it rather easily. After installing DosBox 0.74, go to the folder containing it in your start menu, select "options" and then DosBox 0.74 options.
Look for the output=surface line, change it to read output=ddraw or output=opengl, save the file and run dosbox and warcraft.
See if it improves with one or the other.

Reply 31 of 37, by mccoy901

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Question: When I downloaded DosBox originally to my computer, and then loaded War Craft II from the CDs I purchased, do I have to run DosBox every time I want to play War Craft or is it already running? If I'm suppose to run DosBox before I play that may be my problem already. From your post it seems as if I have to run DosBos when I thought it would automatically run itself.

mccoy901

Reply 34 of 37, by mccoy901

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry but I figured it ran automatically. I'll try it tonite and get back to you. It shut down and did the same thing last nite when I tried to play. Thanks!
-Luke

mccoy901

Reply 36 of 37, by mccoy901

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, I changed the line 'open=surface' to the suggestions you gave, after each time I saved the file and opened DosBox and then put the PC Game CD in to let it pop up automatically. I selected to play and loaded the same scenario that has given me the most problems and it still xrashed to the desktop after 5 seconds. However, I want to make sure I'm actually running DosBox though. Before I put in the CD I click on 'Start'>then 'All Programs'>then put cursor over 'DosBox 0.74'>which then brings up a few options but I click on 'DosBox 0.74' line>then a few windows pop up that looks like DOS (font and window) with the command lines. After this I didn't do anything to ensure DosBox is running b/c I'm @ a dead end unless it should be running at that point. Do these DOS looking windows mean DOSBox is running or do I have to type in a command at the 'Z:\>' command line?

mccoy901

Reply 37 of 37, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok...DosBox is not a magical thingie, just by opening it, nothing will get solved, you need to mount an HDD folder and your CD, install and run the game from within DosBox, ignoring, blatantly, the autorun crap and anything related to running the game under pure Windows.
Read this 60 seconds guide to getting your game to run in DOSBox for friendly instructions.
DosBox is indeed running if you see the z:\> prompt, it's waiting for YOU to do something.
See...Dos games were about wonderful command lines and jumpers, microswitches, DMAs...and sometimes prayers to your higher power, so...forget about the autorun, follow the guide, and hopefully you'll be running, properly, this time.