VOGONS

First post, by megs8888

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all have been able to run DW 2 no problems, but have no sound, tried looking in the sound setup.exe but to no avail anyone have any ideas on how to get the sound working? I am using the frontend program DBGL to run the game, with dosbox 0.072 win xp sp2 etc etc, please detail your answer if you have one step by step as I am new to this stuff thanks everyone .

Reply 1 of 8, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi there,

Just open the profile (edit) and move over to the mounting tab. Press 'browse' next to the 'setup' inputfield and select 'setsound.exe' inside your Discworld directory on the harddisk, probably 'dw2\setsound.exe'. Press Ok to save the profile, and shift-enter to start setsound. Select Soundblaster16 and accept the defaults. Now you can start the game. Press F1 in-game to make sure sound and music is enabled and at the right volume-level.

Reply 2 of 8, by megs8888

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi I have done what you said but having problems configuring sound still it wont save configuration on SB16 I have attached screenshots so as to assist I have a AC97 audio driver setup if that helps. here are the screenshots in order including the DBGL set up audio and mounting thanks for your help,

Attachments

Reply 3 of 8, by megs8888

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

here are the rest

Attachments

Reply 4 of 8, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The problem here is that you are running both the game and setsound from off the virtual CD drive, D. Since a CD-ROM cannot be written to, setsound fails to write its configuration data.
You should configure DBGL to dw2\dw2.bat and dw2\setsound.exe so that the emulated harddisk C is used to start the game and sound configuration tool. That way, the configured audio device data CAN be written to the emulated harddisk drive and you can enjoy discworld with audio.

Reply 5 of 8, by megs8888

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there I sought of understand could you assist me further with instructions on how to do this, I have basically made a virtual cd from my original disc so I can play the game from with ruining my CD, so do I have to transfer all the files to a HD location and run DBGL from there? thanks again, your help is invaluable.

Reply 6 of 8, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, what you need to do is create a hard drive inside Dosbox that points to a real location on one of your real hard drives. Say, you make a folder called "DOS" on your C drive and then use the command:

mount c: c:/dos

If you then mount the CD, and install the game, the game will install some files to a folder in C:/DOS (don't worry DOS games don't copy more than 50Mb usually - often much less).