VOGONS

Installing Jungle Strike from CD-ROM

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Crowley

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can install the CD-ROM version of Jungle Strike fine, but only if I choose not to play video sequences in the game. If I want that, the installation program says it's checking the speed of my CD-drive. Then it just stays there and nothing happens. I am using a CD-image, which I have tried both by mounting it with Daemon Tools and mounting the virtual drive in Dosbox, and I have also tried mounting it directly with imgmount. Both ways bring up the same problems.

Reply 1 of 8, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Exactly HOW do you mount the CD and/or the image? EXACTLY!

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 8, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

And this is with DOSBox 0-72? On which operating system?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 5 of 8, by jamyskis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'd like to necro this thread (as opposed to pointlessly starting a new one) as I have precisely the same problem. I have the Desert Strike/Jungle Strike CD-ROM. Desert Strike works without any complaints. Jungle Strike on the other hand locks up with the message "Checking speed of CDROM drive. Please wait..." when I try to install with video sequences.

I'm using 0.74 on Win7 64-bit, I've tried it directly from the CD with normal access, IOCTL access, and low-level SDL access (-ionoctl), I've also tried making an ISO from the CD through D-Fend Reloaded and tried mounting it from there.

I'm at a loss here.

Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.2GHz per core
16GB RAM DDR4
AMD RX 580
6TB hard drive over three hard drives
Windows 10 Pro

Reply 6 of 8, by jamyskis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Never mind, I've just found a workaround:

* Install Jungle Strike and press "N" when asked if you want video sequences. The installer will then avoid the CD-ROM speed check.
* Open up the Jungle Strike folder on your hard drive.
* Open the file JUNGLE.BAT in Notepad.
Then change

@D:\JUNGLE HD %1 %2 X

into

@D:\JUNGLE CD %1 %2 X

That'll do the trick.

Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.2GHz per core
16GB RAM DDR4
AMD RX 580
6TB hard drive over three hard drives
Windows 10 Pro

Reply 7 of 8, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Actually, there is no "CD" parameter, and invalid parameters make the game use its defaults (non-full install, normal movies), which is equivalent to changing the line in the batch file to just "@D:\JUNGLE". The "HD" parameter tells the game to look for its .DAT file on the hard disk, and corresponds to the "full install" option.

The last parameter is the movie option:

X = None (slideshow)
Q = Small (320x200, quarter size)
V = Normal (320x200, slightly letterboxed)
S = Large (640x480, scanlines, more letterboxed)

It seems to me that the "S" movie option doesn't display more detail than the "V" option, it's just a different presentation that ostensibly needs more CPU.

Reply 8 of 8, by Alexis78

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jamyskis wrote on 2012-07-19, 12:28:
Never mind, I've just found a workaround: […]
Show full quote

Never mind, I've just found a workaround:

* Install Jungle Strike and press "N" when asked if you want video sequences. The installer will then avoid the CD-ROM speed check.
* Open up the Jungle Strike folder on your hard drive.
* Open the file JUNGLE.BAT in Notepad.
Then change

@D:\JUNGLE HD %1 %2 X

into

@D:\JUNGLE CD %1 %2 X

That'll do the trick.

That´s It man! Oh, Thank you very much, It did the trick, now I can use D-Fend Reloaded and play the CD version of Junlge strike directly without going to the Dos prompt before as I used to do.