VOGONS

First post, by shoe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, so I've read through as many posts and did as many searches as I can, but I just can't seem to make this combo work!

Here's what I've tried:
Using Dosbox, gulikoza and ykhwong's DosBoxes with and without glide=True, running Carmageddon outside of DosBox etc, and here's my results:

Inside of DosBox, the OpenGlide that is hardwired into gulikoza and ykhwongs builds only *partially* works. Meaning that, the game will load, I'll hear the sound and movies going on, but I'll only be able to actually SEE the game once in a race (I had to remember menu options to get into the race). Once I was in-race, the graphics were great - but some elements (text overlays etc were missing). Interestingly, everytime I skipped a movie or moved past a menu item, that screen would appear as a static image while I was in the next menu.

Inside ALL DosBoxes without Glide support (or set to False), and DgVoodoo loaded, the game starts loading, then crashes, along with DosBox, and no error messages.

Inside ALL DosBoxes, both regular and hires Carmageddon work, but these run slooow which is why I need Glide emulation.

Now, from the Windows side - I've been able to run Carmageddon 3dFX by using dgVoodoo just fine. To use sound, I had to load VDMSound - but the sound skips so much its annoying. Plus, it requires me to *install* something. I want this to be a portable thing.

Glidos also works well with Carmageddon 3dFX - but it is not portable. If it was, along with VDMSound, I might consider contributing money to Glidos - but alas, some things cannot be.

So, tell me, has anyone had success getting Carmageddon 3DFX + dgVoodoo to successfully run *within* a DosBox environment? (I've had success running it directly with dgVoodoo & VDMSound - but again, not what I want).

Thanks so much,
shoe

p.s. perhaps I should save this for another thread - but is there anyway to mount an image with CD audio tracks and have the game 'see' these and play them (audibly). so far no luck within any environment

Reply 1 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

about your P.S.: make an image that is a bin/cue one and imgmount that. This works for me.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 6, by shoe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

about your P.S.: make an image that is a bin/cue one and imgmount that. This works for me.

Actually, that's exactly what I've tried, but no sound came out. I'm assuming a special handler is required to stream the audio from the image to an output source, since its not like a regular CD-ROM. Is there perhaps a certain imgmount option I should be using, or a sound field somewhere? Thanks for your help

Reply 3 of 6, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shoe wrote:

So, tell me, has anyone had success getting Carmageddon 3DFX + dgVoodoo to successfully run *within* a DosBox environment? (I've had success running it directly with dgVoodoo & VDMSound - but again, not what I want).

Yes. Use mine (or ykhwong's) build, set glide to true and replace glide2x.dll with dgVooodoo's.

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 4 of 6, by shoe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gulikoza wrote:

Yes. Use mine (or ykhwong's) build, set glide to true and replace glide2x.dll with dgVooodoo's.

No luck. I've tried moving glide2x.dll from dgVoodoo to the DosBox directory as well as keeping it in the game directory, but I constantly run into error messages.

Using the original Carmageddon voodoo1 patch (I guess that uses glide.dll?), I'm able to see a half-screen cutoff of the first video, then it immediately crashes.

Using the Carmageddon voodo2 patch (voodo2c.exe), I get different messages depending on the core I set it to, but I am only ever to see the 3DFX logo, then the screen freezes.

The messages I see are (cpu: normal):
Illegal read from f######, CS:IP 160:f#########
or (cpu: auto or dynamic):
DYNX86: Can't run code in this page

*sorry, I should mention that ykhwong's build locks immediately after loading Dos4gw in any version and cpu setting.

Thanks,
shoe

Reply 5 of 6, by Sebie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the same problem: my best result is 3Dfx Carmageddon, where only 3D graphics are shown and everything 2D (not processed by "3Dfx" : menus, gauges, map, etc.) are not drawn.
Otherwise than that the game runs supersmoothly and looks great..
Please help us, it is realy annoying.

Error? Typical..

Reply 6 of 6, by 2mg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Necroing this thread, exactly the same problems - 2D isn't rendered.

Also, why is 3D even slower with latest vgVoodoo2 compared to NGlide 1.05 or 1.02 (gog) - I expected faster results.

PS: Carma is gog version, if that matters.