# Motherboard - I dont know.

# Processor type and speed - AMD dual core 5000+

# Amount and type of RAM - 2 GB

# Video board w/ RAM amount and type - GeForce 7300 LE 512 MB

# Sound board - SigmaTel Audio

# Operating system - Windows XP

# Game name (and version, if applicable) - Kings Quest 7 v1.65c

# Description of problem - Well I get this problem when it says "Windows
title not found" if I try to start it directly from the .exe file. When I try to run it in DOSbox I get the message "This program cannot be run in DOS mode." Can't find and update for v1.65c and I'm desperate 🙁.

# Reproducibility of problem - Always

# Sound mode used - Haven't come that far yet.

# Video mode (Software, OpenGL, Direct3D, or Glide, and resolution) - Tried to change its compabilty to run in 640x480.

# Version of emulator (for VDMSound, probably 2.0.4 or 2.1.0; for DOSBox, 0.58+) DOSBox 0.72.

Have tried to find an answer here at the forums but doesn't seem like anyone have v.165c 😒.

Hope you guys can help me out 😁

Reply 1 of 7, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Install the game normally, but modify the shortcut to point to SIERRAW.EXE instead of SIERRAWS.EXE, but you will still not be able to get past the firecracker bug. If you get the new collection you can upgrade KQ7 to version 2 and play it in DOSBox to avoid this bug.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 7, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
collector wrote:

Only version 2 had the DOS interpretor.

How strange. Usually they always include it. What did the final King's Quest Collection have? (the sierra one, not VUgames).

Also for the windows version I found simply using windows 95 compatibility mode fixed most of it's issues for me in XP, though I only played until some point as Rosella. Never did finish the game.

Reply 5 of 7, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The 2nd collection had 2. That is what I used to make my patch from. The VU collection has 1.4.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 6 of 7, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Crazy idea, but this is windows 3.11 based if I can remember right? Why not install 3.11 under dosbox and try it from there? Takes some effort, but I'm sure it would work.

Reply 7 of 7, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It works, but you have to put up with 3x sound. The ideal is to have the DOS version in DOSBox.