VOGONS

First post, by sbodge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm running the last version of dosbox on a vista home premium toshiba notebook. i installed the game trough dosbox and it's working good but my problem is that when i launch the game it detect only a single speed cdrom drive so i don't have any sound during the cinematics.

the command line i use is "mount d G:\ -t cdrom" and my G: drive on vista is a emulated cd drive with daemon tools 4.11.2

is there a way to get a faster cdrom drive in dosbox ?

Thanks for the help.

Reply 1 of 14, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Start the game by typing f2b -2

The game got another issue with DOSBox too. The stereo sound is reversed, so for the best gaming experience you have to play in mono. Do this by picking the regular Soundblaster as output device in the game options. Not Soundblaster Pro or 16.

Reply 2 of 14, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

You are also doing double work by using DT. DOSBox is perfectly capable of mounting CD-images directly:

imgmount d "X:\path\to\your\image.iso" -t iso

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 14, by sbodge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for all that. the command -2 is working. i effectively noticed that the stereo was inverted but that's not a big deal anyway but if i mount the image directly with dosbox will it be faster than a single speed cdrom drive ? I read the instruction and the intro in dosbox and there is nothing that tells us what is the speed of the cdrom so which option is the best to get the maximum speed ? is there another driver like mscdex that will run faster ?

thanks again

Reply 4 of 14, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well the cdrom in dosbox is actually too fast 😉
we are working on faking it to be slower currently

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 6 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would not be surprised if Fade to Black is the only well-known game that specifically tries (and fails) to detect whether a drive is faster than single-speed.

Reply 7 of 14, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the -2 addition - that got the game working - shame about the stereo sound being reversed! Once again, the Vogons site has helped with a classic DOS game! Has to be one of the friendliest and helpfulist(?) sites on the web!

I have this running in DOSBox using the DOSBox Game Loader front end, using 40000 cycles and using overlay. I am running it in 640x400 (vesa) with no problem.

Reply 8 of 14, by conrad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry, this may be a little late, but someone else might find the tip useful. The reversed speaker output issue can be worked around by using reversed headphones.

Reply 9 of 14, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Reversed headphone is a good idea for anyone! But I don't have/use headphones - so no good for me, but might be a lightbulb for others who didn't think of that - so thanks!

Reply 10 of 14, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hopefully DOSBox gets a fix for the reversed sound issue, since it affects a good number of games. Even a .conf switch to reverse it manually would be better than nothing.

Last edited by HunterZ on 2009-11-19, 20:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 14, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A lot of people have mentioned they would, but I think the official response is that they'd rather find a real fix for the reversed stereo issue. Unfortunately I haven't seen any discussion on it lately.

Reply 13 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
UK_John wrote:

Reversed headphone is a good idea for anyone! But I don't have/use headphones - so no good for me, but might be a lightbulb for others who didn't think of that - so thanks!

To continue with the brazenly obvious, if you don't want to cut up any wires, for five bucks or so you could construct your own stereo-reverser from two RCA-to-3.5 mm adapters that would work with any set of speakers. The setup might pick up stray signals a little easily, though.