VOGONS

First post, by TheReallyCool

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok so I installed the game ran setup using dosbox which is no problem at all. I have the cd rom for the game mounted for D and then the folder mounted for C.

Well everytime I try to run the game it says "OUT OF MEMORY allocating: ccfontbuf (193797120 bytes)"

Now I am not sure how to solve this problem, I increased the memory size that dosbox uses to 256 and have it running at 60,000 cycles so I am not sure what is causing this..

I am using doxbox .072 and am on an E6400, Asus P5B Deluxe, 8800GTS 640

Reply 1 of 14, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Stonekeep - Patch 1.2

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 7 of 14, by STAUF

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am having a problem with the same game. I tried using VDMS, and got the error you are reporting, but when I try to run it in DOSBOX, I get a "You must run this game from a CD" message. I have mounted the drives, properly. Does anyone else have any ideas about Stonekeep, and how to get it running? I have the program installed, and the setup worked fine, but I can't run the program.

Reply 9 of 14, by lady.meggs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am also having trouble with Stonekeep. The Patches Scrolls website no longer list the patch for Stonekeep. I did originally get the game to play, then saved my game and exited. Upon trying to re-launch the game, I get the error message: RAM space allocated for directory headers too small adjust degug.c MAX_GF_HEADER_MEM to more than 100000. I have tried changed the memory in the config.com file from 16 to a higher number, but i get an error that the files is not at the specified location when trying to save the changes. I am using notepad. My operation system is Vista. Help.

Reply 10 of 14, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

The DOSBox installer is not Vista-aware and installs the configuration file inside the Programs folder, and that leads to a lot of problems.

You have 2 solutions:

1. Copy the dosbox.conf file to somewhere in your Documents folder. You can even make multiple copies and name them according to which game or configuration you want. E.g. Stonekeep-dosbox.conf.

Next, edit your DOSBox shortcut (or make a new one, call it Stonekeep) and change the target into something like
    C:\path\to\your\dosbox.exe -conf "C:\path\to\your\Stonekeep-dosbox.conf"

Now you can edit the Stonekeep-dosbox.conf file with Notepad, and launch it by clicking on your new shortcut 😀
  2. Install one of the DOSBox frontends that makes it a breeze to edit and create game-specific configurations.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 11 of 14, by Upstart

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was able to get Stonekeep running under Vista. I tried installing it under Vista and had no luck. Best is to install using dosbox. Here are wonderful detailed instructions I followed.

http://www.dosgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10232

I recommend you uninstall Stonekeep and follow the above instructions, installing from Dosbox.

My computer is an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 Ghz (1066MHz FSB, 8 MB Cache) with a nVidia GeForce 8800GT 512MB video card, and I use the motherboard's sound card. I don't increase frameskip using dosbox (some sites say increase frameskip to 5) I increased game speed (using dosbox CTRL-F12) to 13000 cycles - haven't tried setting it faster yet.

I have the v1.2 patch and have attached it here. Installation of the patch is pretty easy - after installing stonkeep and doing the SETUP, get out of dosbox and use vista. Just unzip the attached SK_V12.ZIP and move SK.BAT and the PATCHES folder to the installation folder (c:\games\stonkeep if you follow the Stonekeep installation instructions above). This will overwrite the old SK.BAT, so you may want to back it up first.

Ups

PS Dosbox is simply amazing. I never thought I would ever be able to play Stonekeep again, and now like magic it works!

Attachments

• Filename
    SK_V12.ZIP
    File size
    545.63 KiB
    Downloads
    575 downloads
    File comment
    v1.2 patch for stonekeep
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 12 of 14, by STAUF

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Qbix.
That is a righteous avatar!
Does she like beer, and a night out?
Anyhoo, here is what I do, to load the drives.
mount D d:\ -tcdrom
and I get
drive D is mounted as local directory d:\
When I do a D: call, and DIR, I can see the files, on the CD ROM.
I mount the C drive in the same way, and it looks good, and I can see all the files, but then I do this.
C:
cd\stonkeep
then I do a DIR, and I can see all the fles, including the SK file that you are supposed to run the game with.
So I type
SK, or SK.BAT
I hear the CD ROM start spinning, but then I get the
"You must run Stonekeep from a CD." message.
It's a bit odd, but I think a file is not being seen.
Can you help?
Let me know.
Thanks.
😀

Reply 13 of 14, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

add a space between the t and the cdrom part in your mount line for D

Yes she does like beer, not a night out, she prefers to spend it in bed.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 14 of 14, by STAUF

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

😊
Well I'm feeling a bit foolish.
Yessiir.
One little SPACE makes all the difference.
I must get used to these commands.
Most people hate DOS, but I love it's almost simplistic style.
STONEKEEP WORKS!!!
I am gaining a lot of respect for DOSBOX.
It seems to be WAY more versatile than VDMS.
Thanks for your help.
j