# Amount and type of RAM
512 ddr
# Video board w/ RAM amount and type
256 ati radeon 9500
# Sound board
dunno
# Operating system
win xp
# Game name (and version, if applicable)
Realms of Arkania: Shadows over Riva
# Description of problem
The game doesn't run in any way. I need a general config setting to make it run in either Dosbox, VDMSound or whatever.
Dosbox says there's no frigging cd drive installed.
VDMsound and windows crash the game if you try to leave the temple or talk.
# Reproducibility of problem (always, only once, always but only on a specific level, etc.)
Always, alwaaaaays.
# Sound mode used
SB16
# Video mode (Software, OpenGL, Direct3D, or Glide, and resolution)
Dunno
# Version of emulator (for VDMSound, probably 2.0.4 or 2.1.0; for DOSBox, 0.58+)
DosBox0.63 and 0.72
# Steps already attempted to solve the problem (please say you've read the README if you haven't, and READ IT IF YOU HAVEN'T!)
Have read readme and help .exe.
Have tried vdmsound with high memory settings, and dosbox with normal settings.
Have tried compatibility mode, some ppl claim it works for 'em but it doesnt happen to meeee.

Reply 1 of 44, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
# Description of problem The game doesn't run in any way. I need a general config setting to make it run in either Dosbox, VDMSo […]
Show full quote

# Description of problem
The game doesn't run in any way. I need a general config setting to make it run in either Dosbox, VDMSound or whatever.
Dosbox says there's no frigging cd drive installed.
VDMsound and windows crash the game if you try to leave the temple or talk.
# Reproducibility of problem (always, only once, always but only on a specific level, etc.)
Always, alwaaaaays.

For running it on Dosbox you need to also mount the CD-Rom drive and reinstalll the game from within Dosbox so the game config files point to the correct paths. Please tell us exactly how you are mounting stuff on dosbox.

As for it always crashing, maybe it will work with dosbox but it might be a game bug. All the patches availlable for this game installed (if there are any)?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 44, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember having finished SOR recently on WinXP, either using VDMSound or DOSBox. It should work under both of them.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 3 of 44, by Ireng

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the replies.
I installed the game mounting the cd with Daemon Tools. Not the smartest option, I admit.
How should I install it with Dosbox? I'm not very keen at commands and stuff with this program.
Thanks in advance.

Reply 4 of 44, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

60 Seconds Guide to DOSBox.

Instead of using the mount command for your CD-images, use imgmount (described in the README).

If that doesn't help, come back with details on how you mounted your C and D drives, how you did the install, how you configured sound, music etc.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 6 of 44, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

swap the mountings and use some empty directory for your emulated c: like
imgmount d E:\Images\Realms_of_Arkania_3.iso -t iso
mount c e:\oldgames

Be sure you install the game then, not just try to run it.

Reply 7 of 44, by Ireng

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My God, I've lured some heavy fish!
I've swapped the mountings as you commanded.
I've installed from the cd aswell, but the problem persists.

mount c e:\
c:
cd games
cd riva
riva.exe

Reply 11 of 44, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

You DID notice the 2 warnings in my guide, right?

Note 1: It is highly recommended that you always use C and D for the emulated drives. It doesn't matter what your real drives are.

Yet you still chose to use C and E.

Note 2: Unless you are prepared to re-install and re-configure the game, DO NOT CHANGE the way you mount the C and D drives for this particular game.

And then you changed your mountings, and did not re-install.

Reply 12 of 44, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Please, Ireng, when every person that replies you tells you to reinstall the game from within Dosbox then do so. This is exactly the kind of threads that gets people that actually want to help all disappointed in the human race 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 13 of 44, by Ireng

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for my bad sintax.
I've reinstalled the game from DosBox, with drives D and C.
I used
mount c e:\
d:
install.exe

and then I used
c:
cd games
cd riva
riva.exe

I had done so in my previous post, but I can see it was unclear. And then, the CD request problem appeared.
Thanks for the writing so far, though.

Last edited by Ireng on 2008-02-28, 19:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 44, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

that looks quite allright
are there any other exe files in the riva directory ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 15 of 44, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Ireng wrote:
and then I used c: cd games cd riva riva.exe […]
Show full quote

and then I used
c:
cd games
cd riva
riva.exe

Did you choose the path C:\GAMES\RIVA when you installed it with the INSTALL.EXE program?

Normally, a DOS game like Riva would install into C:\RIVA.

Sure that you are not running an old installation of the game?

For the best result, I would create a new folder on your E:, e.g. E:\Kiss-Me and then mount that as your C-drive in DOSBox:

mount C "E:\Kiss-Me"
imgmount D "E:\Images\Realms_of_Arkania_3.iso" -t iso
D:
install
C:
dir

Reply 16 of 44, by Ireng

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There are three or four other exes: One for sound setup, one for registratior and stuff, one for uninstall, and one for a patch which doesn't appear to do anything, even after applying it after the last installation within dosbox.

Upon further search, I've found another set of exes under a folder in the Riva directory.
They have all the same names except for one: Riva_Win.exe
I tried it, foolishly thinking it would bring me fame and glory, but the exe doesnt start. It doesnt open any window, it does nothing. It doesnt even appear in the Task Admin, not even for a nanosecond.
Grrrrr.

Reply 17 of 44, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ireng, you keep on ignoring the posts of the people that are trying to help you. This is not very polite. If i was one of the posters, i would stop posting right now, because you're obviously not interested in a solution.

Reply 18 of 44, by Ireng

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MiniMax wrote:
Did you choose the path C:\GAMES\RIVA when you installed it with the INSTALL.EXE program? Normally, a DOS game like Riva would i […]
Show full quote

Did you choose the path C:\GAMES\RIVA when you installed it with the INSTALL.EXE program?
Normally, a DOS game like Riva would install into C:\RIVA.
Sure that you are not running an old installation of the game?
For the best result, I would create a new folder on your E:, e.g. E:\Kiss-Me and then mount that as your C-drive in DOSBox:
mount C "E:\Kiss-Me"
imgmount D "E:\Images\Realms_of_Arkania_3.iso" -t iso
D:
install
C:
dir

I used the same GAMES folder for all intents and purposes. After the second reinstall from within DOSBox I chose C:\Riva as the installation directory, but it didn't help. It always asks me (from DOSBox) for the cd at the beginning. What's the use to mount c as an empty folder?
This is the command lines used so far
mount c c:\
c:
cd riva
riva

ADDiCT wrote:

Ireng, you keep on ignoring the posts of the people that are trying to help you. This is not very polite. If i was one of the posters, i would stop posting right now, because you're obviously not interested in a solution.

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear, I don't quite understand everything you suggest and I sometimes stupidly simply ignore the most obscure stuff. It was not my intent to offend anyone, I'm new to this and learning the know-hows.

Reply 19 of 44, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Hmm. Maybe that game simply doesn't like DOSBox?

No listing here:
http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?letter=S

Edit: Found it here:
http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?showID=17 … &search=Arkania
Realms of Arkania 3-Shadows o. Riva

Interesting comment:

Hmmm, are you using the original version? I am and it has trouble reading from the CD. Doing it without SDL-CD is insufficient (the game refuses to let you play, asking for the CD) and doing it with SDL causes dosbox to segfault (SDL parachute).