VOGONS

First post, by Ryune

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to run a old dos app that have 9000+ files in his folder, and DOSBox is unusable, freezing many seconds until it accepts any input.

Thanks, any help would be appreciated!

Regards.

Reply 3 of 12, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Menus?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 12, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

9000 files ?
Well might be slow. We cache the fileentries using an algorithm that inserts in a list,while keeping it sorted. might be slow on the initial caching

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 12, by Ryune

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, the one that can be hide with CRTL-ALT-F9.

Tried now -nomenu and it works, its missing from the readme, doesn't it?

Thanks again, you just have the perfect avatar for the present times 😊

Reply 7 of 12, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Never heard of this -nomenu thingy. Must be some un-official version of DOSBox.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 8 of 12, by Ryune

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You're right, I was using ykhwong build looking for a better support to the lpt ports.

Whats the best tutorial/build to have lpt printing from a DOS app that could be redirected to a network printer?

And the problem with the 9000+ files it's the same with the official build.

Thanks again!

Reply 9 of 12, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well it's not really a problem in my opinion. It's just it is intended to that. You just have bad luck that you have
9000 files in one directory. Nobody has that. So in general dosbox runs faster because of the caching (and it is needed for the 8.3 translation), you are unlucky in the catagory that suffers from it. But don't expect a fix as it's simply design.

edit well maybe I might optimize it oneday, but got no priority. (or do you have a convincing argument why it needs to be done asap)

Reply 11 of 12, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well I got an idea to speed it up a lot, but not sure when i will code it.

For the lpt stuff. do you want to print to your real printer connected to your lpt1 (passthrough) or do you want to print to an emulated printer ?

Reply 12 of 12, by Ryune

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Qbix,

I believe that is just passthrough, but the output must be redirected to another printer on the (windows) network.

Thanks again, it's rewarding to talk with the developer. Amazing work, keep it up!