VOGONS

First post, by Kalenden

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've managed to get X-com 3 Apocalypse working on my laptop and on vista #EDIT LINK REMOVED#
In the intro I got sound but during the city view ( haven't played a tactical mission yet ) the only sound I get is the clicking sound when you click something.

Does anybody know a solution?

EDIT: I've discovered that my music in the load/save screen was off. But when I try to put it on my game freezes so the issue remains.

Last edited by Kalenden on 2008-04-16, 17:51. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 14, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

maybe ask the author of the guide.
(as the guide deals with downloading software illegally (Xcom is no free download. At least not last time I checked. I'm leaving the link to guide here until somebody can confirm my guess)).
DOSBox and vogons don't support downloading illegal software.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 14, by Kalenden

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is downloading abandonware illegal? If so I'm sorry. I found the guide by googling because I didn't manage to get it to work on my own.
And I haven't thought about emailing him but I can't find his email and I think I could get better help here since this board specificly deals with DOS-problems.
Also I posted the link to the guide just to help other people and to show how I exactly installed this game.

Reply 3 of 14, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Is downloading abandonware illegal?

Abandonware is a term that doesn't exist in almost all jurisdictions,
so basically you're illegally acquiring copyrighted content which is
prohibited by law in most countries.

Reply 6 of 14, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

which audio configuration did you select in the configuration screen of the setup ?

Reply 7 of 14, by Kalenden

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I didn't have a configuration screen of the setup, sorry.
I installed the game, put some commands in the dosbox.conf file so that whenever I start dosbox now the game just starts ( as was instructed by the guide ).
I've tried running the setup.exe in the xcom3 folder but it just says : This system does not support fullscreen. Choose close to terminate the application.
And when run by Dosbox it's just a black screen.

Reply 8 of 14, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

are you sure you mounted the directory allright ? I never had problems with the setup of xcom3.

Reply 10 of 14, by Kalenden

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry to reply this late and sorry for putting this in the wrong forum apparently.

The setup file is located in D:/games/XCOM/xcom3

I type in the dosbox this:
MOUNT D D:\games\XCOM\xcom3
Then
D:
Then
SETUP

If I do that nothing happens except a Dummy.Out file is created in folder xcom3 that gets removed after I close Dosbox.
If I try to run the application XCOMAPOC the game gets started, the other applications ( Mouse2kv and DOS4GW )result in some text.
I think I do mount it right since other applications can run. Strange Setup won't run then...

Reply 11 of 14, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The SETUP.EXE in X-Com Apocalypse hangs if it can't find MSCDEX; but mounting a CD -- any CD -- in DOSBox will make it happy. BTW, the music in the game is digital audio contained in a 300MB file called "MUSIC" in the root dir of the CD.

It sounds like you're trying to use a rip of the game, and encountering the typical kinds of problems that come from that.

Reply 12 of 14, by Kalenden

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks a lot for the help, I've finally managed to get setup working.

Okay I've picked the Soundblaster 16/AWE32 as was recommended by the Auto detect, and it works with the sound test.
When I activate Music my game still hangs so it unfortunatly doesn't help.

Reply 13 of 14, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It hangs because it can't find that 300MB file I mentioned. Do you have the CD or an image of it? If so, do a proper install from it, and then the music will work. If not, then you are going to have to get by without music.