VOGONS

First post, by Slizbury

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having trouble getting the original Doom to run with sound through Dosbox. Doom 2 and a myriad of other games are working fine, but not Doom 1. Oddly enough, the sound DOES work if I run Doom straight from WinXP. So I could do that, now I just want to figure out why it wouldn't be working.

I've run through the Doom "setup.exe", selected Sound Blaster with the correct settings, even tried the Gravis (both are enabled in Dosbox of course), but still no luck. Anyone else experienced this or have any suggestions?

Reply 2 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What settings are you using?

It should be these:

Port 220
IRQ 7
DMA 1

General Midi

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 9, by Slizbury

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yep, 220 7 1 for the SB settings, and the directory isn't read-only. There is no "default.cfg" in the directory right now, and there is in the Doom 2 directory, FWIW.

But even when running through setup.exe in straight WinXP it detected the sound settings correctly and didn't write any sort of config file, unless it put it somewhere outside of the Doom folder, I didn't check for that. I tried disabling the Gravis in dosbox.conf and the Doom setup detected the SB and all the settings correctly... but there's just no sound! And again, there's sound in all of the other games. It's quite odd!

Reply 6 of 9, by Slizbury

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, DOOMDATA, that was it! Thank you for that! I was mounting my"main drive" in DOSBox as "D:" and not "C:" (I think that was for a reason at some point in the past), so there was no C: to write to for that directory. Sure enough it was there on the C: root of my actual machine though, since Doom had worked correctly running it straight through XP.

I moved DOOMDATA over to my main DOSBox file directory, and went ahead and mounted it as C: inside DOSBox instead of D:, and wah-lah the sound appeared! 😀 Thanks for the help, everyone!!

(As an aside, I don't know if there's a parameter to pass to the main Doom executable to look for default.cfg elsewhere, I'll check, but not a big deal really as the solution above is just fine. Thanks again!)

Reply 8 of 9, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

As a general rule use c: for your harddrive mount, d: as your cdrom mount
(standard settings under dos), and install every game WITHIN dosbox.
This gets you the best level of compatibility, even for games that have some
stuff fixed (don't know if this is the case for doom though).