VOGONS

Tie Fighter

Topic actions

First post, by maldrok

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I use DosBox on Vista and when i try to run Tie Fighter i get the message
"Using 2000k of EMS will add more music and speech. set FILES=30 in your config.sys"
How can i fix this?

My setting for EMS in the dosbox config is set to enabled and i have tried to run everything with win95 and so on compability. Thanks for any help i can get 😀

/// Maldrok

Reply 3 of 6, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My guess is that the game already meets the EMS requirements, but still needs the FILES=30 option.

Have you tried to manually create a CONFIG.SYS file in the folder you mount as C:\ ?

You can create with Windows NotePad, and inside all you need to type is FILES=30.

Reply 4 of 6, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Settings in the host Windows system have no effect in DOSBox, and DOSBox ignores a config.sys file AFAIK. Setting compatibility mode for DOSBox isn't neccessary, too.

maldrok, start with the default dosbox.conf. Install and configure the game inside DOSBox, and remember to use the exact same mountings you've used while installing when starting the game.

TIE Fighter runs perfectly well in DOSBox, you don't have to tweak any config settings AFAICR. I think you only have to set "timed=false" (or was it "true"?) if you're using a joystick, and you're seeing "drift". I've been playing TIE Fighter a lot, and never had any problems.

Reply 5 of 6, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
ADDiCT wrote:

(...)DOSBox ignores a config.sys file AFAIK.

Correct, but that does not necessarily mean that the game expects and checks for a C:\CONFIG.SYS file with entry that matches the text "FILES=30".

It can never hurt to create it.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions