VOGONS

CD Installation Problem with Fable

Topic actions

First post, by phildaman46

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having trouble installing the CD version of Fable in Dosbox. When I get to the "Installation Path" part in the install.exe and press OK, it gives me a "Device doesn't exist!" message. I have a folder mounted as C:\, but the installer doesn't detect it.

Reply 2 of 34, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

please give us your exact mountings.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 34, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Read my 60 Seconds Guide to DOSBox (and don't just read it - follow it too).

If that doesn't help, come back with details on how you mounted your C and D drives, how you did the install, how you configured sound, music etc.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 34, by phildaman46

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, I can access the C:\. This is how its mounted, "mount C D:\Dosgames\Fable" and I have the CD mounted as, "mount D E:\ -t cdrom -usedcd number". I have the "-usedcd number" set because it would say the CD-ROM is missing.

Reply 5 of 34, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

And how did your mountings look like when you installed the game?

Reply 7 of 34, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Do you

1) Mount a folder as the C drive?
2) Mount the CD-ROM as drive D?
3) Switch to D
4) Run the INSTALL.EXE

and then get the error message?

Reply 9 of 34, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I hope it is not "-usedcd name" but "-usecd some-number".

Which number do you use, and why that number?

Reply 11 of 34, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Let me spell it out in large letters then:

That option not spelled -usedcd.
It is spelled -usecd.
Only 1 'd'.

If you spell it wrong, it is simply ignored by the mount command and have no effect WHATSOEVER.

Reply 13 of 34, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Okay - now let us go back to a previous question:

MiniMax wrote:

Which number do you use, and why that number?

You said you use -usecd 1. Why 1 ?

Reply 14 of 34, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
phildaman46 wrote:

When I get to the "Installation Path" part in the install.exe and press OK, it gives me a "Device doesn't exist!" message.

This looks to me like a problem with the HD rather than a problem with the CD, so all that "usecd" talk might lead in the wrong direction. phildaman46, can you install other games in DOSBox? I mean, is the directory you're mounting as "c:" writeable? Telling us which OS you're using might help, too.

Reply 16 of 34, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmmmm... I'm out of ideas, then. Don't have the game to test it with DOSBox. The DOSBox website says the game should be playable. Did you try installing the DOS version of the game in Windows, and then playing it in DOSBox? This is generally not recommended, but may be a workaround in this case. You could also install the game in Qemu, VMWare or BOCHS, with a native MS-DOS/FreeDOS install (or Windows 9x in DOS mode), and then try to play it in DOSBox. A lot of work for one single game, but worth a shot.

Reply 17 of 34, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

This thread is soooooooooo full of FAIL. I told the poster to follow my guide, and so far I haven't heard sh.t about the results from that.

I asked why the -usecd 1, and I still haven't gotten an answer to that either.

Maybe I am totally wrong here, but I don't see the logic in coming here, asking for help, and then ignoring the help and instructions given.

Reply 18 of 34, by phildaman46

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Why do I use "usecd 1"? Because it works. Why are you asking me stupid questions? It wouldn't make a difference to why the installer isn't detecting the mounted C:\ drive. Anyway, installing the Windows version works.

I managed to get the Dos version to work by copying the fable.exe, hmidet.386, and hmidrv.386 files from the CD to the hard drive and making the FABLE.CFG file.

Reply 19 of 34, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can confirm the issue, see log.

Attachments

• Filename
    log.txt
    File size
    7.02 KiB
    Downloads