Topic actions

Reply 21 of 42, by t0mme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I went out trying some commands:

mount d E:\ <--Doesn't work
mount d E:\ -t cdrom <--Works!
mount d E:\ -t cdrom -label TIMECOMM <--Works!
mount d E:\ -t cdrom -lable TIMECOMM <--Works!

So the -label isn't needed apparently, but just to make sure; it is indeed -label and not -lable

I might try it on my laptop today because I remember having the same problems as well, though my desktop gave me not a single error. The only important difference between the desktop and laptop is that my desktop has Vista and the laptop XP. Just for the record, I tried it on an IDE connected DVD-drive and a SATA connected DVD-drive and they both worked.

EDIT: Just tried it on my laptop. No problems whatsoever... Maybe you have a different version of Time Commando then I have. Could you open TIMECO.DEF on your cd and see what the version line reads? Mine reads "Version: 1"
Long shot, but it might be the case...

EDIT2: You might want to play with some more mount commands. Copied straight from the wiki:

-t [floppy|cdrom] Define how the mounted folder should behave to the emulated operating system.
-usecd [drive #] For direct hardware emulation ie: audio playback, etc.
-cd = Generate a list of local CD ROM drive's "drive #" values
-label [name] = Set the volume name of the drive (all caps)
-ioctl = Lowest level of hardware access (Win 2K, XP and Linux)...follows the -usecd command

Z:\>MOUNT D D:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0 -ioctl -label GAME_CD

Though, I'm not familiar with the -usecd and -ioctl options, so I can't help you with that.

* Intel Pentium Dual-Core e2180 @ 2Ghz | 3GB Ram | Asus Geforce 9600GT 512MB | Vista Basic *
* AMD Sempron XP 2800+ @ 1,6Ghz | 1GB Ram | SiS M760GX | Windows XP | Linux Mint 8 *
* Dedicated DOS-machine obsolete since DOSBox 0.73 *

Reply 22 of 42, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you tried mounting the CD as an .ISO or a .CUE/BIN.

I remember there being some issues with Vista and CD access with DOSBox because Vista removed some things.

Yeah, here's the thread: ioctl vs. noioctl ways in Vista

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 23 of 42, by t0mme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Making an image might be desirable anyway, because the cd-rom access times are quite slow on Vista (if you 'ave Vista)

* Intel Pentium Dual-Core e2180 @ 2Ghz | 3GB Ram | Asus Geforce 9600GT 512MB | Vista Basic *
* AMD Sempron XP 2800+ @ 1,6Ghz | 1GB Ram | SiS M760GX | Windows XP | Linux Mint 8 *

Reply 25 of 42, by t0mme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Make an image of the cd. I don't know any freeware programs that would do it, since I'm a happy user of UltraISO and don't feel the need for another program. Than, do as the wiki says:

Z:>imgmount d "C:\MyISO.iso" -t iso
or in the case of bin/cue
Z:>imgmount d "C:\cdimg.cue" -t iso -fs iso

The game uses cd-audio tracks, so I *think* an bin/cue image is needed to keep the music.

Reply 28 of 42, by dvwjr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
boying0930 wrote:

can you plz give me a game or where can i download time commando for pc,cause i like it very much,my cd has been lost last 2005,and i want to play it again,tnx

No problem. Ebay.

Here is a link: Time Commando, PC version Buy-it-now price $19.99 +$7.55 shipping.

You can buy it...

dvwjr

Reply 29 of 42, by t0mme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You need a program like UltraISO to make a CD-image. This is in fact one file (or 2 in the case of a bin/cue image). In Dosbox you can then mount that image with the command imgmount like I showed a few posts earlier.

In UltraISO it's very easy (in other programs probably too). You pop in your CD, start UltraISO, go to the Tools-menu and select Create an ISO. Then you select BIN (not ISO, because than you'l lack CD-audio). Save the files in a location which you can easily access with Dosbox. Then start Dosbox, mount your c-drive and then imgmount your image to drive d (Z:>imgmount d "C:\*some directory*\cdimg.cue" -t iso -fs iso ). Then treat it as a normal cd-rom.

Reply 30 of 42, by pz3shwks

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok thanks. Let me just make sure i understand it right. Alright, i made the ISO file, and the BIN and CUE files using UltraISO. Do I mount those, instead of the CD" And I still use the same Time Commando folder with all the data for the C drive mount?

"C:\*some directory*\cdimg.cue" -t iso -fs iso
i tried that with my folder that has the Time Commando ISO, BIN, and CUE files, but got "Illegal type iso"

Reply 33 of 42, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

make sure that the cue points to the right file. Best have the cue and the bin in the same directory and them make sure that in the cue file the bin is just mentioned with its filename and not a path.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 34 of 42, by pz3shwks

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

well i got an urge to try to get this damn thing to run. I just tried this on my old XP, and it won't work. Also, in the 60 second guide it says to make a new folder. What should the empty folder I make be called? (TimeComm, TimeCo?)

Here are the pics for what i am doing:

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x274/halo3 … nt=Capture4.jpg

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x274/halo3 … nt=Capture3.jpg

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x274/halo3 … nt=Capture1.jpg

If anyone has the game, can you see if you have the same files as I do.

Reply 35 of 42, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I think you should call the folder "ItDoesNotMatter".

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 37 of 42, by peterferrie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In timeco.bin, change the byte at 3b6da from 0f to 00.
Then the label problem will go away. Of course, you still need the CD or image file, because the resources are read from the CD, even if you copy them locally.

Reply 39 of 42, by peterferrie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

pz3shwks: once you mount the image, change to the drive letter, and run the setup.exe. That will install the game to the hard disk. Otherwise, you won't get the required directory structure and the game won't run.

Qbix: I don't know, I haven't checked yet.