VOGONS

First post, by Octopuss

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The game runs perfectly, BUT I only can use numeric keys, not the usual ones. I don't know if it applies to other games too, but it's definitely annoying - especially now when I only use laptop. Anyone knows if there's any way to fix it?

Reply 3 of 9, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Game works fine here with the cursor keys on the numblock, note that the
forward key is 5 (and not 😎. I doubt the game is meant to be played with
an enhanced keyboard's cursor keys though.

Reply 6 of 9, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I played Dungeon Master on the Atari ST, but I still do have my manual for Dungeon Master II. It says that either the arrows or numeric keypad can be used for movement, though the preferred method of keyboard control was the numeric keyboard since there were actually 6 movements counting the sidesteps. I would guess that DM1 would have the same settings, though they might have added the arrow keys to DM2 and not had them in the original.

I played mostly with the mouse as I recall. Not until the Eye of the Beholder games did I start using the arrows and mouse.

Reply 7 of 9, by Octopuss

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Guys I honestly don't know 😀
Old PC, well, oldest PC I never used was 386SX/20 (still had DIPP memory modules, haha 😁).
Oh, maybe by the difference in the number of keys you mean those Windows special ones? If not, then it would be something I didn't catch up with (was 8 when DM came out I believe).
I might just boot into pure 6.22 DOS from USB drive and try DM that way (when my damn motherboard goes back from RMA).

Anyway, xian, that's a good thought. But how to switch?

Reply 8 of 9, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

you mean those Windows special ones?

No, the non-enhanced (ie. 83/84 keys) keyboards didn't have the cursor
keys but only the numblock. So if the game was written at that time it
might not work with the enhanced mode cursor keys.