VOGONS

Reply 22 of 29, by phanboy_iv

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright, I'm having the same problem. But none of the proposed solutions are working for me here.
Firstly, I'm running Dosbox 0.72 on 64 bit Linux, with the normal (not Plus) Magic Carpet CDROM.

I get the crash when switching to the spell screen, but not always on the first time. Somtimes only second or third, and especially if I rapidly toggle between the game screen and the spell screen several times.

Tried mounting the real CDROM on D as described. Crashes as described.
Made an ISO and mounted with IMGMOUNT on D. Crashes as described.
Tried copying files to a directory and mounting as D with -t cdrom as suggested. Crashes as described.
Tried using normal core/tweaking cycles. Crashes as described.

Any tips/suggestions?

Reply 23 of 29, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try the latest AEP CVS from my signature.
Try it on a real DOS system and see if you can recreate the issue there.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 24 of 29, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

phanboy_iv: you've read this and other threads on MC, haven't you? The "crash when switching to the spell screen"-issue is obviously a copy protection issue. I've played the plus version of MC through multiple times (i love this game), and never had this issue. Are you sure you're using an original CD?

In order to isolate the problem, you could try playing the game with the Windows version of DOSBox, or in a 32bit distribution (not sure if 64bit could make a difference).

Reply 26 of 29, by phanboy_iv

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, new testing, new data, revised some statements.

Actually, mounting the real CDROM under Dosbox does in fact work. Tried multiple times, no crashes.
I must have forgotten the -t cdrom switch the time it crashed.

However, when using an ISO made from the same disc, it still does crash, even with -t iso, and this is a bit puzzling, since I thought that under Linux at least, mounting an ISO was more reliable than mounting the real disc.

This was tested in both 0.72 and a current CVS checkout, same result in each.

Reply 27 of 29, by phanboy_iv

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Exactly the same under 32 bit Windows 2000. Real CD mount works, mounting the image doesn't.

I can get around this for now by mounting the iso manually outside of Dosbox under Linux, and the pointing Dosbox at it via mount -t cdrom. Looks like a quirk in Dosbox ISO emulation.