VOGONS

1942: Pacific Air War Gold

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by OSH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, I have big problem...
I've 1942: PAW Gold Version. This version is a mixed Windows 3.1/DOS version. Mutimedia part (and installer) works only in Windows 3.1 or higher, game only in DOS. I've installed this game under Windows 3.1 running on DOSBOX 0.72, and after launch I can't see intro, which is in AVI-format, but this isn't most important. More important is, I can't launch game. I'm booting Windows 3.1, click on PAW Gold shortcut, intro (but without AVI) appears, after this I see option screen, and when I click on option "1942 game", I've got a message "Clicking on play game will cause program to exit to DOS and automatically star the game. If the program returns to Windows without starting the game, you do not have enough conventional memory to run the game."
After click on "PLAY GAME" I hear sound of closing Windows, and...Windows is loading - I don't have enough vonventional memory. Game requires 580 KB. I can launch DOS-part without problems (after DOSBOX start, I have 633 KB conventional memory. But Windows must take some of this memory, because the game doesn't start after multimedia-part. Can somebody tell me, how I can freeing some conventional memory under Windows 3.1? I've googled, but It doesn't help...this is full version of PAW Gold without any crack or somenthing...

Reply 1 of 9, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Seems like the easiest way to work-around this issue is to start DOSBox in DOS-mode (without starting Win31) and launch PAW directly from the DOSBox prompt.

The difficult part is figuring out how the main PAW game has to be started. How many COM or EXE files do you see? Any BAT-files? Do you have a manual for the game? Maybe you just need to start PAW.EXE (or whatever it is called) with some special parameter to make it run directly.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 9, by OSH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No, this is not so easy...This game is mixed Win3.1/DOS game. DOS part starts under DOSBOX, without booting Win3.1. But multimedia-part works only under Windows. First, I've started mutimedia part under Win3.1. Second, on the option screen I choose option "1942 game". Windows is closing, and now shall DOS-part launch. But instead, Windows is again loading - this mean, I don't have enough conventional memory (minimum 580 KB) AFTER closing Windows. My goal is, Windows memory management configure to reach minimum 580 KB conventional memory. But I don't know how...

Reply 4 of 9, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
OSH wrote:

No, this is not so easy...

Someone clearly did manage to do it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMFnalFZ6B8

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 6 of 9, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, scr*w the "multimedia" then, and start the game in pure DOS. There's not much memory management in DOSBox, besides the "loadfix" command. By starting the game executable in DOS, you'll also be able to see any error messages.

i don't know the game, but i'm pretty sure it should be possible to find the exe/com/bat that starts the game (without the frontend stuff). If you can't find it, you could try a "real" ix86 emulator, like VMWare, BOCHS, Qemu, etc. - but then you'll get more memory management than you asked for, because you'll have to install a DOS OS and Win31 on top in these emulators.

Reply 8 of 9, by mikelimtw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a different problem. I have the "Gold" GOG version of this game. It's the DOS version of the game since GOG ships this with a preconfigured DOSBox that will launch the game. I'm trying to figure out how to get modern HOTAS gear to be recognized and work with these old DOS sims.

Reply 9 of 9, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mikelimtw wrote on 2024-01-11, 11:58:

I have a different problem. I have the "Gold" GOG version of this game. It's the DOS version of the game since GOG ships this with a preconfigured DOSBox that will launch the game. I'm trying to figure out how to get modern HOTAS gear to be recognized and work with these old DOS sims.

Hey mikelimtw

Welcome to VOGONS. Going to lock this topic as its from 2008 and necro'ing it with a question that have very little relevance to the previous discussion is not something we encourage. If there is some relevant information in this topic, I'd suggest you quote/reference/link to it in the new topic.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes