VOGONS

First post, by rgrab63

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am trying to get an old dos game called Scorcher developed by ZYRINX in 1996 to play 😵 . I've tried just about everything to get this game to work in Dos. My main thing is to have it know that MSCDEX is installed. I know it's there but everytime I try to play it, it tells me that MSCDEX is NOT installed. What could possibily be the problem. Any help would be great.

Reply 1 of 4, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Have you tried using DOSBox?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 4, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Scorchers' not only a dos game. There's a windows version of it as well. unless you downloaded some abandonware rip which has the dos version only and you never installed from the cd in which you would have mscdex loaded for

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 4, by rgrab63

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I should have said in my first post that I am using DosBox version 072. I did what the instrutions said. I put a line in at the bottom of the config file in DosBox and it reads, (mount D G:\ -t cdrom -ioctl). When I start DosBox it tells me that mscdex is installed. I do have the original CD of the game which has the Dos and windows versions on it. I tried installing it with the windows version but windows xp keeps telling me that it is not a valid win32 application. I also tried to use the mode, run under win95. But it still comes back and tells me the game is not a valid win32 application. What am I doing wrong. I've been trying to get this game to play for months with no luck. They must have some kind of copy protection scheme because the CD has to be in the drive. Like I said before any help to get this stubborn game to work would be great. 😵

Reply 4 of 4, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Moved to DOSBox Games

Read my 60 Seconds Guide to DOSBox (and don't just read it - follow it too).

If that doesn't help, come back with details on how you mounted your C and D drives, how you did the install, how you configured sound, music etc.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions