VOGONS

Office 4.3 Word - Needs Share.exe?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by astroraptor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Word stopped working and is now requiring that I run share.exe prior to running Windows. I did "ver set 6 22 share.exe" and loaded it, ran Windows, same thing. Anyone?

Reply 10 of 16, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Hmm, stopped working on my Windows, too 🙁
And I found out, through some search, that using a fake share won't cut it, since the share is used for the OLE functions or whatever. In German there is a forum post about it at http://www.win31.de/board/showtopic.php?threadid=620
Office is not a game and not that important... (just for browsingmy old stuff I did on that publisher version way back in time... 😀)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 12 of 16, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I don't know about share.exe itself, but the WfW 3.11 way of loading the vshare.386 driver still works with the official 0.72 release. Same installation of Windows+Office works fine with 0.72 but fails with current CVS.
But like I said, I just wanted to remark/report this 😀

(though if anyone can find this fake share emulator or whatever it is called, I'd try that, too 😀)

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 14 of 16, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I'm not sure if share was needed for office on real hardware though.

AFAIK now it wasn't directly. "Newer" Office for Windows 3.x came with the vshare.386 driver (and WfW 3.11 came with its own driver). Thus share.exe itself wasn't needed.

Reply 15 of 16, by MisterDave

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been struggling to run Word 6 on WFW 3.11 through dosbox 0.73 and have found this thread. The problem that I have is that Word 6 keeps prompting me for share.exe. I have tried loading share.exe, but the prompt persists.

I have just tried dosbox 0.72 and Word 6 loads fine without needing to load share.exe . Looking at the Word 6 'system info' menu, I see that dos is running in 'enhanced' mode, which may not need share.exe to be loaded. I'm not sure if this is true for 0.73. Is this part of a deeper well known problem in 0.73? I have tried setting ems to both true and false.