VOGONS

First post, by noabody

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm using D-Fend reloaded for DOSBOX and wanted to note how I got Ghost Bear's Legacy to work. First I used UltraISO to create BIN/CUE images of both Mech Warrior 2 and Ghost Bear's Legacy. This is required for a legitimate full installation since GBL is an expansion to MW2. I named the files MECH2.BIN/CUE and GBL.BIN/CUE. In windows I created a folder called MECH2 in DFend's VirtualHD folder. I made that folder my C: drive with path .\VirtualHD\MECH2\ . I mounted GBL.CUE as CDROMImage D: and MECH2.CUE as CDROMImage E: . I left the main Program File blank for installation purposes and launched DOSBOX. CD D: then type INSTALL and return. The install requires that the Mech Warrior 2 CD is inserted for verification purposes. When that happens I pressed CTRL-F4 to swap discs and swapped again as required.

Make sure to do a full installation. By default the game installs to a folder named GBL. Add the Program File as .\VirtualHD\MECH2\GBL\GBL.EXE . Delete the D: drive in DFend and change MECH2.CUE from E: to D: then run the game. The Mechwarrior 2 BIN/CUE is required to play the game.

Use these steps to make a mini-image of the MECH2.BIN/CUE around 14MB in size. Create a new Data CD in UltraISO named MECH2 and copy the entire contents of the MECH2 CD to the image. On the root of the image delete every file except OLD_HERC.DRV then delete the contents of every folder except KEATING and LAUNCH (In the NETMECH folder delete the contents of every folder except LAUNCH). If you save this new image as a BIN/CUE named MECHMINI.BIN/CUE delete MECHMINI.CUE. Make a copy of MECH2.CUE and rename it to MECHMINI.CUE then edit MECHMINI.CUE and change MECH2.BIN to MECHMINI.BIN. This last step is important if the .CUE or cuesheet has a list of audio tracks. That way the image resembles the original CD structure as closely as possible.

If using the image change the DOSBOX D: drive to use MECHMINI.CUE.

It's interesting to note that you could use a HEX editor to make an image less that 300KB in size essentially truncating all of the information after the CDROM's File Allocation Table (FAT) or Table of Contents (TOC) but the original Mech Warrior 2 training missions won't work. In fact you'll notice that a full install of just Mech Warrior 2 does not create the folders KEATING and LAUNCH. The game's executable won't use those folders if they are copied to the C: drive. It expects that data to be on the CD-ROM. While that would not impact GBL in the least, I prefer making a mini-image that can be used for both MECH2 and GBL.