VOGONS

First post, by eXecu7or

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I'm trying to get Stri Poker Professional to work on dos box, but I get "Sorry, your video card does not support the mode required for this game". I've installed univbe 5.3 but I only get some graphical corruption before getting the message above.

Any ideas?

OS is XP X64, Nvidia Geforce video.

Reply 1 of 21, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

DOSBox version? 0.72?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 21, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It needs 640x480x256. It has also a 800x600 windows version.

Also, the demo works in DOSBox 0.71 without any changes.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 4 of 21, by eXecu7or

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

sorry, I'm using 0.72.

I've set the following variables in dosbox.conf:

[sdl]
fullresolution=640x480
windowresolution=640x480

and

[dosbox]
machine=vga

Still, I get the same error. I'm trying to start the 1995 release of the game, the one that has sound drivers included.

Reply 5 of 21, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

The fullresolution=640x480 is probably wrong. It should be set to resolution you normally use for your desktop, something like 1280x1024 or higher. But I doubt that is the cause of your problem.

Do you have any info on what kind of graphics the game requires? The next release of DOSBox will have support for SVGA, but until that is officially released you will have a hard time finding the Mac-version of it (unless you can compile it yourself).

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 6 of 21, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got Strip Poker 3 and it works fine with DOSBox defaults. I know it's not the same version - but just throwing it out there.

It was a funky game on some real DOS computers. I believe it didn't work with my Matrox G400 at all.

Reply 7 of 21, by oolie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As far as I remember the correct resolution for 'Artworx Strip Poker Professional' is 512x384. I used to play it on my old 486 DX4. I tried to run it under DOSBox and VirtualPC some time ago but no luck.

Reply 13 of 21, by Riyune

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This game works without any difficulties (DOSBOX 0.72) on two different laptop PC's, one running Vista with Nvidia graphics and the other XP Home with ATI Radeon. Since the game's resolution is 640x480x256, the default DOSBOX settings give a stretched picture in fullscreen mode. This can be fixed by setting fullscreen res to whatever your monitor's actually is (e.g. 1280x800 or whatever), and selecting the Keep Original Aspect ratio option. I'm using D-Fend Reloaded to set these so I forget what the actual DOSBOX config settings are. This is an example of DOSBOX at its technical best, as the digital sound in this game was iffy on many old DOS pc's.

I did have an old laptop that would not run it at all - Silicon Motion Lynx graphics. This was back in the days of Win98. I don't think even DOSBOX would work on that one.

Jesus loves you, unless you have tatoos. Then you are going to hell.

Reply 16 of 21, by eXecu7or

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i would also point out that I'm talking about "strip poker professional".

the even older version of "strip poker III" works OK.

If i remember correctly, professional uses some fancy video mode larger than 640x480.

Reply 17 of 21, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When I downloaded the demo, the page said that there were Windows versions with 800x600 resolutions.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!