My mistake of course was that i didn`t actually install the game through DOSBox

Crew, please copy this sentence to your DOSBox homepage. 😅

Klimawandel.

Reply 21 of 32, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I doubt most people using DOSBox even know there is a homepage and even then they cannot read so there isn't much point.

Not to mention the fact that the don't realize that Windows & DOSBox are two seperate things. (They cannot or don't even bother to grasp the fact that DOSBox running on Windows is not Windows or a game installed in Windows doesn't mean it will work properly in DOSBox).

So we can:

1. Waste time trying to educate users (and it is a waste of time) who don't or shouldn't give a crap.
2. Fix the problem by automating the process somehow. Either automatic installers that script the entire install or provide prepackaged games (when legal of course).

Automating the install process for games would be the "easiest" most realistic route. By automation I mean either a program on the host unpacking the game and providing the game config and DOSBox configs or an patch/frontend for DOSBox which would step inside of DOSBox and do everything (Input paths/select options, etc).

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 22 of 32, by nevar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Listen i respond because i feel responsible for all that...
The fact is that if you search the internet about solutions on any problem of dosbox you will come upon a massive number of pages and might be lost....
I read and i read a lot be sure about that...
The fact in our case is that i didn`t know that if i install the game through its window installer it will be corrupted to load it and run it afterwards through DOSBox...
I don`t mean to be rude to people that helped me, but you know nobody was born educated and filled of knowledge...
For me you did the right thing guiding me because now in a similar problem i can enlight someone else...
Sometimes (after many hours -maybe days- of searching) you need to see everything before your eyes to understand. Your mind stops and a small detail makes the differense...
I know that most of the people out there would like to have everything ready and go, but not me. I prefer to search and learn. And today i did. A lot. Because of you.. ALL!
Don`t give up on us even if we look stupid enough (for someone who knows) to understand. We`re not!!
THNX AGAIN!

Reply 23 of 32, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

Automating the install process for games would be the "easiest" most realistic route. By automation I mean either a program on the host unpacking the game and providing the game config and DOSBox configs or an patch/frontend for DOSBox which would step inside of DOSBox and do everything (Input paths/select options, etc).

Except for operating the game's installer, I have a DOSBox-backend that does all that. Written entirely in NT-compatible CMD-scripting and available as a Bourne Shell script too 😀

If you want to play around with it - no documentation - PM me.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 24 of 32, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got Battlespire working in 0.73 with no problem, but any suggestions on how to stop those little squares appearing in the game movies (I think they're called digital artefacts)?

Last edited by UK_John on 2009-08-12, 22:49. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 25 of 32, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Post a screenshot so we know what you're talking about. I'm going to guess that they're compression artifacts and that you don't realize how far digital video has come in the last 10-15 years :p

Reply 26 of 32, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, in the first intro movie, at the centre it's clear, but as the 'waves' move from the centre to the edge they leave different size squares behind from a couple mm to 200mm in size over the outer 1/3 of the screen. If you have Battlespire you must know that first movie.

I bring it up as I have not seen it mentioned anywhere else.

Reply 27 of 32, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Solved my digital artefact problem by downloading the 1.9 Rad program, as the movies are SMK (Smacker) files. Thanks for the help! Hopefully this info might help others!

EDIT: Now I have a game crash when I get to the scamps to start the conversation. Seems the conversation screen is a different resolution, so I wonder if that's the problem?!

Reply 28 of 32, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Decided to play the game again and I cannot get music in the game unless I use my original cd. I have tried copying the waves file and the movie folder, but that doesn't work. I have created a bin file and tried that and it didn't work. I can get sound effects, but no music unless I use my precious CD.

Any help out there to get music from my bin or anything would be greatly appreciated! 😀

Reply 29 of 32, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You have to mount the .cue file. The .cue tell's DOSBox where to find the audio tracks in the .bin.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 30 of 32, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Did use the .cue. Made another bin/cue this time using PowerISO got the music this time. Only small problem is music volume in-game doesn't work and I need to Alt-Tab out and manually change the wave volume in the volume controls! Could be worse, so I will live with it! 😀

Thanks for the help anyway! DosFreak! 😀

Reply 31 of 32, by Mithrandir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Another thing you need to keep in mind when you use schortcuts with dosbox is that dosbox will view the folder of the file you are running is in C:\
If you did not change the path in the config file it will say something like "could not find 0
C:\M"
I changed the path to C:\ and the cdpath to C:\CD\ (I copied my cd content to that file so i could run it without any extra difficulty's)
My only problem is that it is lagy wich was not when i was using an older computer that had windows 95 on it. But I think it is a save bet that I can blame the combination of an older machine and dosbox emulater for that.

Reply 32 of 32, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mithrandir wrote:
Another thing you need to keep in mind when you use schortcuts with dosbox is that dosbox will view the folder of the file you a […]
Show full quote

Another thing you need to keep in mind when you use schortcuts with dosbox is that dosbox will view the folder of the file you are running is in C:\
If you did not change the path in the config file it will say something like "could not find 0
C:\M"
I changed the path to C:\ and the cdpath to C:\CD\ (I copied my cd content to that file so i could run it without any extra difficulty's)
My only problem is that it is lagy wich was not when i was using an older computer that had windows 95 on it. But I think it is a save bet that I can blame the combination of an older machine and dosbox emulater for that.

Welcome! Very nice bit of help!

You are gaming angel! 😀