VOGONS

Might and Magic IV issues

Topic actions

Reply 44 of 69, by Guest

User metadata

The problem everyone is describing hapens to me when I run WoX in native MS-DOS 6.22, but NOT in DOSBox. I would take this as an SB problem, since my sound card isn't fully SB-compatible. The emulation that DOSBox provides seems to run perfectly. Maybe this will help someone to pinpoint the root cause. Oh, by the way, I'm running the version from "The Ultimate Might & Magic Archive" which is a CD, but doesn't require the CD to run.

Reply 45 of 69, by Guest

User metadata

I'm running WinXP SP1... and I have World of Xeen from a 'classic RPG collection'...

Anyway... using DOSBox 0.61, as long as I mount the cdrom using -ioctl, I can run the game fine... mostly...

I can get in the game, I can look at my inventory, I can kill things... going to the first tent, and talking to the mayor works fine.

If I go into a 'shop' though... say the blacksmith, or the leveling place, or the inn... entering works fine... but as soon as I go to leave... where it should return me to the 'game world' the game locks up. The music keeps playing, but the game itself (and the mouse) just sits there locked and I can't do anything other than kill the DOSBox window...

I've been messing around with the various DOSBox settings (I've never used it before this) and I can't seem to fix it...

Also, I can't use -aspi.... -ioctl is needed to fix the CD being detected as a music CD... and someone said to use -aspi for that as well...

if I try -aspi, I get some invalid directory error and it doesn't load mscdex...
is this cause I'm on XP and not 98/ME?

Please! if anyone knows how to fix this.... let us know!

Reply 46 of 69, by Guest

User metadata

quick update on the post right above this...

the version of Xeen I have is, indeed, on CD and has the CD checks...

I solved the problem with -aspi giving me a directory error by installing some winxp ASPI drivers... but it still says that I have a music CD loaded in aspi mode. Only -ioctl gets me past that, and then I still freeze exiting the shops.

Reply 49 of 69, by Vorse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all,

I believe that I have compeltely gotten the CD version of World of Xeen to run. I am using DosBox .61. I am using Windows XP with SB Audigy. I used the -ioctl after mounting the Cdrom to my drive. I also edited the Soundblaster IRQ to 5 instead of 7. Now, everything runs perfectly, the speech works, the music works, the sound effects works, all of it works.

The only gripe that I have is that even though the music plays, its low compared to the sound effects. I hope someone esle might be able to fix this is they can get it to run on their machine as well.

Previously, the game did not run. It would play the dragon and fly scene with perfection, it would go to the Darkside introduction with music all the way until the Pharoah says the word "INCONCIEVABLE", then it would stop there and not continue. However, as I have said before, changing the IRQ to 5 while default is 7 seemed to fix the problem. Mabye this will help you people out there to get it running on your machines as well.

Reply 52 of 69, by Vorse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm, I dont think I was quite right about what I said earlier. I went back and took a look at all the settings that I had when I installed World of Xeen CD. Apparently, Dosbox was running Sound Blaster Emulation at 220 IRQ 7 and DMA 1 while the game itself was configured with only 5 IRQ. Obviously, when I changed the DOSBOX config to IRQ 5, it worked.

The only thing I can garner from something like this is that the working of the game is indeed sound related. Make sure your Dosbox sound config file matches your sound installation of the game itself - that might fix the problem.

Reply 53 of 69, by PitschBlack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there,

i need assistance for might and magic world of xeen (cd), could please someone describe me the command line if have to type in to get this game running......i am getting really mad . every time, i used -ioctle - aspi, it says music cd.....as you can see i am a newbie!!!!!

please tell what command line i must type in...

greetz pitsch 😕 😕 😕

Reply 54 of 69, by hellerup

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to get World of Xeen cd-edition to run under Linux (dosbox v. 0.61). As I understand it, -ioctl and -aspi doesn't work there (only in Windows), and apparently you need to specify these parameters in order to get it to work (it complains about the cd in drive not being a World of Xeen cd-rom).

Has anyone gotten World of Xeen CD-edition to run under Linux? And how?

Reply 55 of 69, by Goblin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ive got my M&M World of Xeen: Millenium Edition CD Version working with DOSBox on my XP System. I don't have sound and its a bit laggy but workable and still fun. (Not too laggy.) I checked to see if I could change disks and I can fine.

And for fear of spoiling the game I'll just say Im level 12 with most characters and haven't experienced a problem yet. (Excluding sound.)

Here is what I did in easy terms. Remove all parenthesis when typing in commands.

I loaded the game from the install disks. (Just World of Xeen.) This only puts the install on your hard-drive and doesn't really load it. Make sure you install it into directory C:\World. You can change it to whatever you want later.

Put in the World of Xeen Disk One.

Then I opened DOSBox and mounted the C: drive on C. (mount c C:\)

Then I mounted the CD-Drive on D. And I used the ioctl extension. My CD drive is on E: so my command will be. (mount d e:\ -t cdrom -ioctl)

Then I went onto the C: drive with the DOSBox. (C:)

Type in cd\world.

Type in install.

Say No to the original settings and set everything to No Sound.

It'll install.

Exit DOSBox and go back into it.

Mount C C:\
Mount D E:\ -t cdrom -ioctl (Unless your cd drive is "D" or something.)
C:
cd\world
Xeen

Program should run. When you get into the game hit the little gem in the center and set it to text and turn speech off. And music and everything else. I didn't have a problem with the game when I had speech on, but it referenced the disk. So I turned it off to prevent any problems that might occur. Speech will play if you leave it on. And it works good. But I cut it off to prevent problems.

Below is a copy of my config if you want to copy and paste it over your own. I think the only difference is the IRQ field under Soundblaster. I changed it to Five.

[sdl]
# fullscreen -- Start dosbox directly in fullscreen.
# fulldouble -- Use double buffering in fullscreen.
# fullfixed -- Don't resize the screen when in fullscreen.
# fullwidth/height -- What resolution to use for fullscreen, use together with fullfixed.
# output -- What to use for output: surface,overlay,opengl,openglnb.
# hwscale -- Extra scaling of window if the output device supports hardware scaling.
# autolock -- Mouse will automatically lock, if you click on the screen.
# sensitiviy -- Mouse sensitivity.
# waitonerror -- Wait before closing the console if dosbox has an error.

fullscreen=false
fulldouble=false
fullfixed=false
fullwidth=0
fullheight=0
output=surface
hwscale=1.00
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true

[dosbox]
# language -- Select another language file.
# memsize -- Amount of memory dosbox has in megabytes.
# machine -- The type of machine tries to emulate:auto,hercules,cga,tandy,vga.
# Try a specific type if your game has problems with auto.

language=
machine=auto
memsize=16

[render]
# frameskip -- How many frames dosbox skips before drawing one.
# snapdir -- Directory where screenshots get saved.
# aspect -- Do aspect correction.
# scaler -- Scaler used to enlarge/enhance low resolution modes.
# Supported are none,normal2x,advmame2x

frameskip=0
snapdir=snaps
aspect=false
scaler=normal2x

[cpu]
# core -- CPU Core used in emulation: normal,full,dynamic.
# cycles -- Amount of instructions dosbox tries to emulate each millisecond.
# Setting this higher than your machine can handle is bad!
# cycleup -- Amount of cycles to increase/decrease with keycombo.
# cycledown Setting it lower than 100 will be a percentage.

core=normal
cycles=2500
cycleup=500
cycledown=20

[mixer]
# nosound -- Enable silent mode, sound is still emulated though.
# rate -- Mixer sample rate, setting any devices higher than this will
# probably lower their sound quality.
# blocksize -- Mixer block size, larger blocks might help sound stuttering
# but sound will also be more lagged.
# wavedir -- Directory where saved sound output goes when you use the
# sound record key-combination, check README file.

nosound=false
rate=22050
blocksize=2048
wavedir=waves

[midi]
# mpu401 -- Enable MPU-401 Emulation.
# device -- Device that will receive the MIDI data from MPU-401.
# This can be default,alsa,oss,win32,coreaudio,none.
# config -- Special configuration options for the device.

mpu401=true
device=default
config=

[sblaster]
# sblaster -- Enable the soundblaster emulation.
# base,irq,dma -- The IO/IRQ/DMA address of the soundblaster.
# sbrate -- Sample rate of soundblaster emulation.
# adlib -- Enable the adlib emulation.
# adlibrate -- Sample rate of adlib emulation.
# cms -- Enable the Creative Music System/Gameblaster emulation.
# Enabling both the adlib and cms might give conflicts!
# cmsrate -- Sample rate of cms emulation.

sblaster=true
base=220
irq=5
dma=1
sbrate=22050
adlib=true
adlibrate=22050
adlibmode=adlib
cms=false
cmsrate=22050

[gus]
# gus -- Enable the Gravis Ultrasound emulation.
# base,irq1,irq2,dma1,dma2 -- The IO/IRQ/DMA addresses of the
# Gravis Ultrasound. (Same IRQ's and DMA's are OK.)
# rate -- Sample rate of Ultrasound emulation.
# ultradir -- Path to Ultrasound directory. In this directory
# there should be a MIDI directory that contains
# the patch files for GUS playback. Patch sets used
# with Timidity should work fine.

gus=true
rate=22050
base=240
irq1=5
irq2=5
dma1=3
dma2=3
ultradir=C:\ULTRASND

[speaker]
# pcspeaker -- Enable PC-Speaker emulation.
# pcrate -- Sample rate of the PC-Speaker sound generation.
# tandy -- Enable Tandy 3-Voice emulation.
# tandyrate -- Sample rate of the Tandy 3-Voice generation.
# disney -- Enable Disney Sound Source emulation.

pcspeaker=true
pcrate=22050
tandy=true
tandyrate=22050
disney=true

[bios]
# Nothing to setup yet!

[dos]
# xms -- Enable XMS support.
# ems -- Enable EMS support.

xms=true
ems=true

[modem]
# modem -- Enable virtual modem emulation.
# comport -- COM Port modem is connected to.
# listenport -- TCP Port the momdem listens on for incoming connections.

modem=true
comport=2
listenport=23

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.

Reply 56 of 69, by Goblin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Fixed the lag by just hitting Cntrl + F12 a few times in game.

So... Only problem with my set-up is sound. Checked the disk changes a couple more times and it still works. Checked it because I thought maybe i got lucky... But it works.

Reply 57 of 69, by Goblin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow... Sorry for the triple post.. But I just ran into a HUGE snag.

When I get to the Northern Sphinx on this game. I press the up arrow (Not on the number pad.) and it brings me back to the title screen. Im ALMOST 100% positive its the game and not DOSBox, but I just want to make sure as 3DO isn't all there.

If I try to load my game again and hit the up. It brings me back to the title screen again. I have to complete exit the game. (Not DOSBox) to fix it. But as soon as I go back to the Northern Sphinx it does it again.

Reply 58 of 69, by gumbomasta

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to play world of xeen (CD-rom edition) through the new Dosbox .62. Everything works, loads and runs fine except... the sound.

It's not a total disaster, it's just immensely irritating and there might be a doxbox config solution. So here is my problem: the party walking sound is shrill and intrusive on all the soundblaster/ultrasound settings. The Roland sound settings result in bizzarre piano/telephone ring sounds for monsters and a totally uncalled-for piano sound for the characters walking. Is there a way to adjust individual channels of sound for dosbox mt-32 mode so that it doesn't have a telephone sound ever time I open a door? Is there a way to adjust individual levels of the SB mode? The Xeen installation offers to do this automatically. I tried using the "mixer" command in doxbox, but Xeen doesn't seem to notice and reverts all my settings back to the default. The TAP-10 card crashes depending on what DMA channel I'm on. The Roland Canvas has the bizzarre telephone sounds, while the Pro-audio spectrum, Sb pro and Sb cards result in shrill and unbalanced sound.

Am i crazy? S-Face

Reply 59 of 69, by Goblin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just say no to sound... if you have sound it'll ask you to change disks and then it will cut off on you.

Game plays fine without sound anyways.

If I remember right the sound was crappy and redundant anyways.

Voice acting was good though.

If your having problems with what people are saying just change everything to text in your options. Thats the way the original was anyways. The original only had talking during the little cut scenes like going into towns on the Darkside or into caves.