VOGONS

First post, by GenericGoert

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an old IBM PS/1 PC that had a good number of old games on it, including one of my favorites, Wolf3D. A little while ago, I added the Super add-on pack by downloading it onto a couple floppies and installing it on the PS/1. Now, I have copied the wolf3d folder to my new computer, and am trying to run it under DOSBox 7.2. When I run just wolf3d by itself, no other Super Add-ons, it freezes at the first screen that tests for Memory and peripherals and also gives a message that is very difficult to read (this happens every time). I believe it says:

Divide Err
Ndtbspegnm

C:\Wolf3d>
There is a screenshot below. When I run it with wolfmaster, it freezes at the same screen, this time with no message and then DOSBox exits after a few seconds. To add to my problems, shortly after copying the games over, I accidentally wiped the PS/1's hard drive, leaving it unusable without a boot disk. As well, I do not have the original setup disk for wolf3d. All i have is the wolf3d folder from my PS/1.

New PC specs:
Asus P5K-VM
Intel Q6600 quad core @ 3.15 GHz
4GB OCZ DDR2 RAM
Integrated Realtek HD sound card
Vista Ultimate 64-bit

I also have no idea how to figure out what version of Wolf3d it is.

Attachments

• Wolf3derr.jpg
    Filename
    Wolf3derr.jpg
    File size
    73.25 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Error screen that shows up when running Wolf3d by itself (no super Add-ons) under DOSBox 7.2.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It looks like your copy is corrupted.

Try downloading a shareware version of Wolf3d and running it in DOSBox. It should work fine.

STEAM sells Wolf3D using DOSBox 0.72 so if you use STEAM you can buy it from there.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 12, by Riyune

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Assuming you got your original copy of Wolf3d by legal means, you still have the right to own a copy. Which means you can download it from any of the classic games sites, or bittorrent etc. The moderators here don't like the "@b@ndonw@re" word even tho DOSBOX owns the scene. I assume the moderators are so careful because they have a commercial interest in DOSBOX, and don't want to make the mistake that the original Napster did.

Jesus loves you, unless you have tatoos. Then you are going to hell.

Reply 3 of 12, by GenericGoert

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The shareware version of the game works fine. Is there any way I can copy files from the original game folder to the shareware version to make the shareware version have access to all the other episodes, or is my only option to purchase/download another full copy?

Reply 5 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I believe the executable files between the shareware and full versions are different.

You can try using a port such as Wolf4SDL http://www.chaos-software.de.vu/ and hope that the games data files are not corrupted.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 12, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Assuming you got your original copy of Wolf3d by legal means, you still have the right to own a copy. Which means you can download it from any of the classic games sites, or bittorrent etc.

What a bunch of BS. Stop spreading your half-knowledge around like that.

The rest of the post is even more stupid than the statement i've quoted. If i was a mod here, i'd ban that guy for writing this kind of crap.

Reply 7 of 12, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Well...... He didn't write legal right. If I knew that I had once bought a fully licensed game, and then lost it, I would have no moral qualms downloading it from whatever source I could find. In fact, I would consider it my moral right to do so.

When it comes to legal versus moral rights, I always think back to WW2 when Denmark was occupied by the Germans. A lot of things were then illegal to do, like blowing up weapons and ammunition factories, helping Jews evacuate to Sweden, or blowing up train tracks. Yet I applaud the people that broke the law and risked their own life in the process.

Or I could go further back to the times when the nobles ruled the country and peasants where not legally allowed to move from one part of the country to another.

Or I could go nearer the present time (do not know the exact year, my guess would be sometime in the 1950's) when it was still illegal to be a homosexual.

Lots of things might be illegal, but that does not necessarily make it wrong.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 8 of 12, by GenericGoert

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, it looks like its the game files themselves that are corrupted. Looks like I'll be buying/downloading another copy from steam. Thanks for your help, though. I was really impressed by how fast my question was answered.

Reply 9 of 12, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MiniMax wrote:

When it comes to legal versus moral rights, I always think back to WW2 when Denmark was occupied by the Germans. A lot of things were then illegal to do, like blowing up weapons and ammunition factories, helping Jews evacuate to Sweden, or blowing up train tracks. Yet I applaud the people that broke the law and risked their own life in the process.

You aren't seriously comparing downloading a DOS game to fighting against an occupying nation, are you?

Reply 10 of 12, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

No, I want to emphasize that just because something is not legal, that does not automatically make it wrong.

In the case of intellectual property rights, I think that many of things that the law says is illegal is in fact morally right. People that goes around screaming "It is illegal, it is illegal, therefore it must be wrong", is IMNSHO ignorants.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 11 of 12, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hehehe... That'd be a philosophical discussion. "Right" and "Wrong" can't be defined in an objective way. Anway, in respect of posts on VOGONS, we should keep the "Downloads are bad" stance, i think. Anything else is likely to lead to certain problems or unwanted discussion, as we all know.

My point was that it's silly (bordering on arrogant and stupid) to tell anyone that downloads are generally OK if you have had the original game at one point in time. That statement wasn't the most stupid one in the post i was referring to, too.

Reply 12 of 12, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MiniMax wrote:

Or I could go nearer the present time (do not know the exact year, my guess would be sometime in the 1950's) when it was still illegal to be a homosexual.

Lots of things might be illegal, but that does not necessarily make it wrong.

Or when then they (some Danish "doctors") tried to "cure" homosexuals there they castrated gay men, pretty messed up. But I had no idea, it was a crime being a homosexual in the 1950´s , but still up until 1980 there homosexuality was looked upon as an illness in doctors journals.