VOGONS

Red Alert resolution

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by ironandmind

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just got dosbox installed on my 2006 macbook pro (intel chip) and got red alert 1 installed through dosbox

the problem I am having, is the field of the gamescreen is significantly less than it should be (by about 2-3 times). Does anyone know how I would fix this?

Reply 1 of 4, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The dos and windows version use different resolutions. I believe it to be 320x200 for dos and 640x480 for Windows.

Ostensibly some people claim that they can change the resolution in the REDALERT.INI and get the resolution to change for the dos version.
I tried doing it with my version of Red Alert from the First Decade release, but I experienced some trouble with it not recognizing the dvd, so I can neither confirm or deny that it works. (Personally I suspect it doesn't, as I doubt that the dos version reads the .ini file.)

But if you want to try I've included it for you, if you want to give it a try.

Attachments

• Filename
    REDALERT.INI
    File size
    1.09 KiB
    Downloads
    454 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 4, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since the DOS version has no VESA driver, I seriously doubt that there's a VESA version for DOS. Also, the Windows version is slightly different - I believe they're two very separate versions of the game that share many of the same files. The Windows install folder contains plenty of files the DOS version doesn't so I think that VESA is Windows only I'm afraid.

Reply 4 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For the DOS version use DOSBox.
For First Decade go here: http://www.commandandconquer.com/portal/site/ … 000100d2c0aRCRD

Don't know about non-decade Red Alert or even if there's a difference between it and First Decade.

Also, don't hijack threads.

Thread closed.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline