VOGONS

First post, by sanloco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Current setup:
Windows XP SP2, 4gigs RAM, running on Windows Network

Problem:
When using the un-patched version of DOSBOX v.72 we can connect to our Paradox database with no problem. But unfortunately the un-patched version doesn't allow for printing. When we use any of the patched versions which has printing capabilities; such as H-A-L-9000 and several others that we tested, we can no longer access our Paradox database; we get the following error message:

Pdox Error - Could not login on network

When I try to run just the Paradox 4.5 program under the patched version I get the following error message:

Can't start Paradox: unable to record lock/unlock H:POXUSRS.NET. You might have insufficient access rights to the directory H:\

H:\ is a network drive on a Windows server, yes I do have full admin rights to this directory, and yes this works using the the un-patched version.

We tested the printing on the patched version using DOS editor and it worked great. We also installed WinPcap to see if that resolved anything but it didn't. Older version of the un-patched DOSBOX works fine, this error only occurs with any patched version.

Any thoughts or anywhere where I can get the latest version of DOSBOX with just the Printing patch installed?

Thank you.

Reply 3 of 19, by sanloco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

But everything works great when using the un-patched version. I reconfigured Paradox so that the NET file was located on the C drive and I get the same error message except that it's pointing to the C drive instead of the H drive.

Reply 4 of 19, by sanloco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

An imgmount doesn't sound like it would solve the problem, especially since it works with one version and not the other. But I'll look for a dos image file that i can download and give it a try and let you know.

Reply 5 of 19, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

else try the cvs build of dosbox to see if it has to do with the patching or with the fact that dosbox became incompatible with it.
(the patched builds aren't always based off 0.72)
http://builds.tharos-online.de/

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 6 of 19, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

They had to access the network drive somehow on a real computer, the NE2000 should be useful for that (they could just use some other VM then though).

You can also try the older version of my build (downloadable form my homepage), it doesn't have the CVS change that broke Winword/Excel (share issue, it sounds like it could cause that bug too).

1+1=10

Reply 7 of 19, by sanloco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Qbix, Paradox for DOS works great with all the non-patched versions of DOSBox. But when I try to use any of the patched version, thats when Paradox stops working.

h-a-l-9000, with both the non-patched & patched version, you can access the network drives once you mount them
network map k: = \\titan\pdox
dosbox mount k = k:\

Once the drives are mounted I can create & delete files and folders on the mounted (network) drives with no problem. I can run both versions of dosbox side by side and the original version will open up paradox and the patched version will fail. I did install the ne2000 but that made no difference.

Isn't there a version with just printing? I think with all the extra network & graphic patches, something might be causing a problem.

Reply 9 of 19, by sanloco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey h-a-l-9000,

No, it didn't work. I get the same error message "PDOX ERROR Could Not login on network" when I downloaded several different ones from that site. The ones that I downloaded were:

current_dosbox
dosbox_01.01.2009
dosbox_01.11.2008
dosbox_17.11.2008
dosbox_23.11.2008
dosbox_24.12.2008

Reply 13 of 19, by sanloco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

YES! YES! YES!!!!!!! It worked, no errors in opening up paradox. I also notice in the status window that it has the option for parallel port, YES!

I will test the printing out first thing in the morning, YES! YES! YES! 😁

Right now I'm just using the standard conf file, can I use the one thats from the MB4.1?

I will let you know the results tomorrow!

Reply 15 of 19, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

be aware that you don't have real networking. So using multiple instances of dosbox on the same time on the same database will probably not work.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 16 of 19, by sanloco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It worked perfectly, I can now access Paradox and print reports.

But regarding the printing, the font is large and cuts off the page. Is there a way to control the size of the font or the font type?

Thanks for all the help.

Reply 17 of 19, by intellitek1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So this is a really old post and i'm not sure anyone will answer. The links posted here are long dead and I didn't really follow the directions....

We have a need for Dosbox running Paradox with Printer (LPT1) support and have been running into the same error with Paradox that strikes after version 0.65 mentioned by the OP "Can't start Paradox: unable to record lock/unlock H:POXUSRS.NET. You might have insufficient access rights to the directory H:\ "

Since every edition of Dosbox that supports emulated printing support for LPT1 is based on a version later than 0.65 we cannot use Paradox on it. I'm hoping someone can guide me on how to get this working as this is something critical a new customer of mine needs for at least the next year or two.

Reply 18 of 19, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Just for fun, try if running fakeshare before running paradox. You can find that in my Windows 3.x guide in my signature.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper