VOGONS

Okay, I'm stuck.

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by cnesten123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I asked my brother for a copy of the Quest for Glory games 1-4 to play on DOSbox. The problem is, I'm not sure how to install the game itself so I can get started...

Can anyone help? I'm new at all of this.

Reply 4 of 6, by IggyPopped

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I JUST put quest for glory IV on my computer. I think you should install a program like DOSbox (a DOS emulator) onto your computer if you have Windows 2000, XP, Vista, etc. The command prompt that comes standard with these forms of Win don't work with QFGIV and they also don't run off of a DOS platform like their ancestors.

Are you working with CDroms or an internet download? I downloaded a zip of QFGIV, unzipped the file, and created an intentional file folder of all the game components.

Working from the DL version of the game and after installing DOSbox , I opened the DOSbox.conf notepad file (if you have VISTA, right click and press run as administrator). Scrolled to the end of the document and typed:

MOUNT C "C:\USER\Folder\folder\Game Folder location"
c:
You will get the file path info. in Windows Explorer if you open the game folder, don't just copy and paste what I typed in.
Save the document and open up dosbox. you will see that the game folder will be mounted onto the c directory. when you want to play the game type next to the C:\> the program name with the extension. e.g. sierra.exe the game will run.

if you are working from a CDrom, open dosbox and type INTRO to get directions on how to work from there.

If you encounter problems with the game, you should look this page over: http://www.dosgames.com/xphints.php

I took some preliminary steps before getting dosbox that in hindsight might not have been necessary. (parts 2, 3, and 4). I thought i might be able to wing-it with the standard command prompt but I don't think the 32-bit QFGIV will run on that. There is also a freeware version of QFGII online that is download-install ready and windows compatible.

sorry if this is long and convoluted, i'm not a techie--- just an imposter.

Reply 6 of 6, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions