VOGONS

First post, by LordDalamar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I finally got my hands on Strike Commander CD and I cant get it to recognize my sound card. I've tried almost all imaginable settings and every time I try and run the game (Except with no sound card selected) it doesnt work, it says

"Strike Commander cannot locate the sound card(s) you have selected. Please run INSTALL and make sure your sound card settings are correct.
You've won this time..."

any ideas on how to fix this?>

Reply 1 of 9, by Xelasarg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, this has become my standard suggestion by now - have you tried disabling GUS sound (in dosbox.conf set gus=false)?
And make sure you have selected Soundblaster Pro @ IRQ 7. Strike Commander works fine for me (floppy disc version, though).

"What's a paladin?!"

Reply 2 of 9, by LordDalamar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey I got the sound to work. I've transferred the game to an older Desktop that has an actual gaming joystick port. Fortunately, your suggestion for the sound worked, but nothing I Seem to do makes the joystick work. Either the in game calibration has no effect (And the cursor just flies around) or it says "Joystick calibration not correct".

Its an older type of joystick, I had no luck using a newer Sidewinder type joystick (in the game the joystick could be used as the mouse, for cursor and even for VIEWING in the game itself, but it could not FLY the plane)..

Any help there?

Reply 3 of 9, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Strike Commander had that kind of problems on real hardware, too (at least on my system, i had to constantly calibrate the joystick). Try changing the "timed" parameter in dosbox.conf and/or setting a fixed number of cycles before starting the game.

Reply 4 of 9, by LordDalamar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Do you mean this:?(About cycles?)
core=auto
cycles=auto
cycleup=500
cycledown=20

or did you mean put a fixed number in the timed
joysticktype=auto
timed=false----------<?
autofire=false
swap34=false
buttonwrap=true

What cycle count would you recommend?

Reply 5 of 9, by LordDalamar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Also-
I had a different version of SC (think the floppy one) and I used the keyboard to fly and it worked good. I Got my hands on the CD version and when I try and fly the plane in the cockpit view the plane goes what direction I want it to, but the direction arrows ALSO control the view in the cockpit, so I cant see what i am doing because it keeps moving the view around when I try and move the plane. Its really annoying. (Which is why I opted for the old game port style joystick I Have, plugged into the desktop with a joystick port on the sound card)

Is there anyway to remap the keys?

Reply 6 of 9, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You should take a look at the DOSBox readme and the .conf file, which has example settings.

If you have a "digital" Windows joystick (i.e., a modern one), you should use it. I haven't used a gameport joystick in ages, but i remember having to recalibrate very, very often. You won't have that problem with a USB joystick/joypad. Every controller supported by Windows should work in DOSBox.

Reply 7 of 9, by LordDalamar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Before trying to use the other joystick I WAS using a modern Joystick, a Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2. And in the game it DID work for controlling the cursor in the menus and talking to people, and even in flight I could use one of the buttons and the joystick to look around, but the actual joystick wasnt working when it came to controlling the flight of the aircraft.

So obviously its compatible, and it works with some parts of the game, but not the actual flying.