VOGONS

First post, by refund

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I've been trying to get Pinball Mania to work, and finally got it to run.
sound works, controls work, all fine.

However, the resolution is not working correct. if I let dosbox autodetect the settings,
dosbox for some reason detects: 640x350
while the 'correct' resolutions seems to be: 320x350

so essentially, the game runs with the horizontal resolution doubled.
(or vertical halved :)

I've been fiddling with the windowresolution, aspect and scaler values but I can't get It to display correctly.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

P.S.
I have played this game before, on my 486 with DOS 6.2. And if I remember correctly, the game was just normal VGA 640x480.

Reply 1 of 5, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

A few of the DOS pinball games use the tweaked 320x350 video mode, which DOSBox displays as doublewidth, but with a ~1.5 pixel aspect ratio. Setting aspect=true makes a big difference in what you see with that kind of aspect ratio. You say you fiddled with aspect, but setting it true should have made the display not so squashed looking.

Reply 2 of 5, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried the demo and the following settings made the game look correct both in windowed and fullscreen on Windows XP:
fullresolution=1400x1050 # or 0x0 or your desktop resolution
output=overlay # or anything else except surface
aspect=true

Maybe it would be a good idea to make aspect=true the default.

Reply 3 of 5, by refund

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks!

'the 'magic' was in:

output=overlay

I found another solution as well: the game can be run in 'low res' or 'high res'
with the later being the default.

running the game in 'low res' let's doxbox autodetection work correctly.

Reply 5 of 5, by danielc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

output=surface
aspect=true

...results in horrible framerate on my 9600GT, latest 181.xx Forceware for Vista x64.

Be sure to set output=overlay or, even better, opengl (or openglnb for no hardware filtering with upscaling). output=opengl had a lot of problems with my older ATI HD3200 though, for some strange reason, might be a Vista x64 thing.

Regards,
CosmicDan